SAU Community

R34 Coilovers, Feel Unstable?

just had some used Apexi N1 coilovers fitted to my R34 gtt

bought from a reputable member, fitted by a mechanic.

the rear right seems unstable, seems bouncy and over ridges or corrugations the back end seems to skip a bit.

when going over a pot whole at low speeds the back end hit seeming harder than it should and you can feel a bouncy vibration through the car.

is it likely that the shock is blown or is something likely to be loose?

something is a bit rattly, knocky in the back, not yet sure if its from the strut or just something else behind the parcel shelf.

anything i need to be checking, any easy way to tell?

any help is appreciated

Edited by GH05T

I'll be perfectly honest. I'm dead surprised that you just bought them and fitted them. The very least I would do is to dismantle the things and "shock dyno" them (with my hands) to at least feel if they all felt like they were working the same (or at least the front pair the same left-right and the rear pair the same left-right). You do this by driving them up and down as hard as you can manually and measuring the time taken to stroke them full stroke. Especially if they are adjustable - you do it at full soft, full firm and halfway in between to see if they all act the same.

If you had done that, you might have some idea of whether one of the rear ones is in fact crook. Right now, your best bet would be to pull them out and get them checked out.

Having said all that, it is quite possible that they are just 3 times stiffer than the suspension that you had in there before, and you've just learnt a lesson about not overdoing spring and damper stiffness on the road (especially Adelaide roads!!). What are the spring rates on these anyway?

dunno rates, bought them cheap got them put in as i have absolutly 0 time for work on the car atm.

non adjustable. i have been used to coilovers from my R32, that was stiff as. if anyone is in northern adelaide feel free to come fro a ride and give your opinion.