SAU Community

Another Idle Hunt Issue

ok before you say its the aac hear me out. so the car hunts on idle. only really bad after some mods which are.

3076r from gtrs

tomei pon cams 260 deg

now before i done the work it had a intermittent hunt at idle which seem to only happen when cold, but rarely happen so i never worried. then i done these mods and it was terrible hunt. so i had the car tuned and it seem all good then it start hunting all the time hot or cold and it would hunt and nearly stall. put the a/c on which brings the revs up and no worries. the tuner done his part and told me find out whats wrong.

sense then i fix a lot of boost leaks (which has made the car not drivable due to it being tune with the leaks) and swapping my maf (z32) which i found it removed the hunt but ran a bit shit so i thought ok the maf is buggered. change that but the hunt was still there but not as bad and ran a bit shit (tuned to a stuff maf) so some progress. before it would hunt the second you started the car (old maf). change the maf and it would idling fine but ONCE you bring the revs up even slightly touch the throttle it would hunt, basically instead of settling at 750rpm it drop down to like 500 and hunt away for a bit and come good. sometimes it would start up with no hunt then WITHOUT touching the throttle it hunt. what is shit is it wasnt half as bad before and if it happen it was only when cold. but it hunts for like 20sec or less then comes good, touch the throttle and starts again, and randomly maybe without touching the throttle. but there is points where it comes good which is strange

now im taking another chance to get it tuned and see if we can get rid of it again but im trying to cover all basis. i check the tps voltage and it was hardly out only by 0.04v but i adjust to spot on and made no difference. but im very convinced it wont be tuned out.

it has a power fc, fairly old as the timing log thing is slow on the computer if you get me.

z32 maf (brand new)

75000km

480cc nismo injectors

nismo fpr

whatever fuel pump not sure

blitz intercooler

avcr boost controller

r34 gtt (neo)

3076r .63 rear 4 inch anti surge intake

type b tomei cams

Sounds very much the same as what was going on with my car mate. For me the problem turned out to be in the tps wires!

I found if I moved them around with the car running it would hunt and in some places be perfect, so I cable tied them off in a position that was good and it hasn't hunted again:) that's only a tempary fix for now until I re-wire it.

Hope it's as simple as that for you like it was for me:)

well it sounds like it could be my issue, its just weird its only at idle and only after touching the throttle and very rarely when not. you think there would be issues across the rev range considering wiggling wires changes its mind lol thanks anyway

Did your tuner check for leaks/smoke test it before tuning?

I am going to say no. Surely someone wouldn't check for leaks, find heaps, then tune anyway!

no as i said i found leaks after the first tune, things a didnt mention about the tune as i was only pointing out the idle. we had some issues with the tune and it didnt pull as hard as i thought it would, he straight away said check for boost leaks. which i had plenty of, all are fixed. i replaced the maf when trying to find a solution for the hunt, which improved but didnt rectify, like i said now these 2 issues have been address a tune may fix it but i highly doubt it.

Also does anyone think my power fc could be causing it? I was also thinking a CAS sensor but I wouldn't think setting my base timing would be possible as it would be obviouse with a timing light if there was a problem (which I done when changing cams)