SAU Community

Ecu Comparison

FJ RB25

Hi everyone and thank you for your advice

I have just finished speaking to a fella over here in Perth who used to work for 101 garage in QLD

Looks like I will probably go with the Haltech unit and the 3073 turbo on top of a 6 boost manifold.

I didn't realize that running E85 was that much of a mess around ( excuse my ignorance)

Will use the AFM to pass licensing and then run the internal MAP sensor in the ecu.

The engine exhaust noise shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as its gone properly.

Most probably won't be pulled over every day like you do in a skyline majority of 5 O wouldn't expect that from an old fj holden

Sounds like a potent setup in the making, look forward to seeing how the HTA3073 goes... Should be very responsive!

Would love to play with Haltech sometime, sounds like they are good products but G4 Link dominate here... For good reasons, but not necessarily that they are the best

Good points there to consider there, only going by what was recommended to me with the turbo size, thank you for the advice and I will do some more research when I get back to the big smoke, if I can go a smaller turbo and pick up good response then that's great, not after huge HP just some decent HP so the car is fun to drive.

If Fitting the AFM to get past licensing then running the MAP sensor part of the ecu after is what I have to do then I will do that no big deal.

Running E85 was only an option to get past the emissions part of licensing due to the fuel burning cleaner if it was needed, once car is licensed I was going to run premium pump fuel.

Ok so I have a few mates that build Rb's and I have spoken to RIPS over in NZ because I was looking at one of their manifolds at one stage and some fellas that have drift cars.

Recommended so far

Haltech

Wolf

Power FC

Link G4

What about a Vipec man ! ?

Link manufactures the ViPec so its the same ECU essentially.

They're actually not. The Nissan plug in boards are quite different. The VIPEC plug ins have quite a few features that the Link plug ins don't .

They're actually not. The Nissan plug in boards are quite different. The VIPEC plug ins have quite a few features that the Link plug ins don't .

Yes true. Built in Knock boards on the ViPec being one of them. Along with a few other small features. But they are a very similar platform. Software is almost identical with few small differences between the two. The ViPec does however support Peak and Hold Injector drivers. But i really don't think that is such a big issue nowadays. There are that many different high impedance injectors on the market at a reasonable cost, there is no real reason that you must require a Peak and Hold Injector capable ECU.

The Link is cheaper. And now with the release of the G4+ the differences are closing up. The G4+ now has built in digital knock control.

I'm sure if you scurried the Link forum you'd find a thread with all the differences between them.

Hi everyone and thank you for your advice

I have just finished speaking to a fella over here in Perth who used to work for 101 garage in QLD

Looks like I will probably go with the Haltech unit and the 3073 turbo on top of a 6 boost manifold.

I didn't realize that running E85 was that much of a mess around ( excuse my ignorance)

Will use the AFM to pass licensing and then run the internal MAP sensor in the ecu.

The engine exhaust noise shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as its gone properly.

Most probably won't be pulled over every day like you do in a skyline majority of 5 O wouldn't expect that from an old fj holden

Yeah good plan... haltech and 3073 will be a good combo.

After the initial rego and engineering inspections, you would be left alone pretty well. More likely to be pulled for cops to have a look than a ticket.

Well that's the plan anyway, I do find that being in my early 40s that I rarely get pulled over, probably got something to do with the fact that as you get older its harder for them to BS you.

I feel for all the young fellas out there who go and spend good coin on a nice car only to be goated and harassed by the boys in blue.

Majority of engine builders that I have spoken to recommend the Haltech with either the 3073 or 3076

Thank you everyone for your advice and input

Cheers

Paul

Yes true. Built in Knock boards on the ViPec being one of them. Along with a few other small features. But they are a very similar platform. Software is almost identical with few small differences between the two. The ViPec does however support Peak and Hold Injector drivers. But i really don't think that is such a big issue nowadays. There are that many different high impedance injectors on the market at a reasonable cost, there is no real reason that you must require a Peak and Hold Injector capable ECU.

The Link is cheaper. And now with the release of the G4+ the differences are closing up. The G4+ now has built in digital knock control.

I'm sure if you scurried the Link forum you'd find a thread with all the differences between them.

Built in knock sensor, on-board MAP sensor, ignition outputs for each cylinder, etc.

Not a lot of differences no, but I do think they make the ViPEC a bit better value than the Link. Especially when you consider that with the Link you need to pay for an IAT sensor as well, and if you want to run any decent boost then you will need to splash out on a MAP sensor which means you also need to buy the XS Loom... Presuming you want to ditch the AFM. Given the ViPEC comes with the IAT sensor and on-board MAP sensor, the initial outlay ends up pretty close. Just food for thought.

Edited by Hanaldo