SAU Community

P-Plate 350Gt

I'm on my P-plates and want to buy a 350GT sometime in the near future, and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about whether it's legal for me to drive?

I know it's not turbo or supercharged and has less than 8 cylinders, so doesn't meet the criteria for being prohibited and it's also not included on the high-powered vehicles list. However the 350z is prohibited, and earlier models have the same engine as the 350GT. The 350GT is also banned for P-platers in other states. Car sales however, lists the 350GT as P-plate legal in SA, but I'm not so sure that would hold up with a police officer who says otherwise, haha.

So, if anyone can clear things up for me, that would be great! I know a car like that with P-plates will probably make me a target for police but if I know it's definitely legal, there's not much they can do. Besides I'll have my P2's within a few months.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about SA but this girl I work with had one on her P-Plates in NSW, now she is currently fighting the courts. She also had to sell the car.

I'm pretty sure the 350z is also not allowed in any state due to these cars being only 6kw too powerful.

After looking at this, the 350z is listed as "high powered". SA doesn't seem to specify KW ratings, just things like V8s, turbos, and superchargers.

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/98795/High_Powered_Vehicle_list_2013.pdf

Honestly I wouldn't risk it, hold out until you have your opens.

I drove my old 350GT here in QLD for just under 2 years with no issues with police, i did get pulled over twice in that time - 1st cop tried telling me it's turbo'd which was a good laugh and the 2nd time i was only asked how many kilowatts it had.. as Greg says, legal in QLD but i have no idea elsewhere.

Read what it says very closely. If it says you can than do it, screen shot it on your phone or print it out. If you get pulled over show him said proof and bobs ya uncle.

I got pulled over in NSW with a 250GTe and the cop argued with me saying V35s are banned. I showed him a screen shot, he was wrong and went back to his GD crummydoor with his tail between his legs.

Most cops a few nuggets shy of a happy meal when it comes to V35s.

Another cop was positive my car was a maxima.....

Edited by Howaitonaito

• 1 month later...

Mate, speaking as a Police Officer in SA I can tell you now that if you don't draw attention to yourself i.e driving like a knob, stupid exhaust and dark tint, Then you won't have any problems from us.

In fact, if i see you driving I would love to have a chat!

Mate, speaking as a Police Officer in SA I can tell you now that if you don't draw attention to yourself i.e driving like a knob, stupid exhaust and dark tint, Then you won't have any problems from us.

In fact, if i see you driving I would love to have a chat!

Unfortunately lots of Australia, or in my case Sydney, is not like this. You are guilty by association and need to be dealt with harshly. I had my pregnant wife pulled over in a stagea and grilled about window tint, when the car isn't tinted, it is factory privacy glass juat

I am the nicest one going around! I love having chats with people about their cars. It is peoples passion which most cops don't understand. My team is full of rev heads. One is restoring a VH Commodore and another has a 68 Falcon. We actively research car events just to have a look while were not busy!

Its from the bottom of the fender above your wheel to your centre hub. That's how we do it in SA.

Some traffic cops have a book about 50 pages long with every make and model (within reason) with every measurement imaginable. Track height, wheel width etc etc

• 1 year later...

Totally forgot about this thread, I finally bought one! 2003 Black Premium with manual transmission. I bought it from an auction through Iron Chef Imports, and should have it within 10 or so weeks. Keep an eye out for some pics when it arrives! In the meantime here's some pictures from the import agent:

Front:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Srit-ld3wTOEpKeF92NFNGUjA

Interior:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Srit-ld3wTOExEUVN5bnlNd2YxQVEzZzdwdDV1YUFOcUE4

Rear:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Srit-ld3wTUkNVTC1Nc2ZNWm8

(Also I'm no longer on my P's just incase you were wondering!)