SAU Community

Rb20Det Coolant Leaks

sprinter666

i just had my welch plugs replaced and my leaks fixed etc coolant replaced no more than a month or two ago and now i have coolant pooling again is this commin in rb's im more of a toyota guy and havnt played around under the bonnet of this thing to much, hints and ideas useful! thanks all

Did you start a thread to ask if its a common thing?

Not that I'm aware of, did you buy good quality welch plugs/fittings?

Ive had 2 RB30's and 2 RB25's and have never had a coolant leak problem with any of them from the engine

All I can suggest is that the Welch plugs were not of good quality or not installed correctly

Perhaps since the welch plugs were put in the pressure has caused other weaknesses to appear (or it wasn't a good job replacing welch plugs)

check heater hoses, pipes around the back of the block and under the plenum.

Maybe you can tell us where the coolant is pooling, or even better take pictures & post them up!

As Sinista32 said, other weak points might now be making themselves known.

If it is the welch plugs leaking again, there are 2 ways to fix them:

1: Do them again, making sure all surfaces are CLEAN & FREE of old krud. Use a decent sealant, like No.3 when installing them.

2: I'm not mentioning on a public forum like this. A mate of mine use to use this process after popping welch plugs to check head studs on Jags. Worked 100%!

it was indeed another weakness that showed, got it on the hooist today, fkn heater hose.... and that explains why im having problems starting it i think, its leaking right on to the starter motor :( so quick followup qwuestion do i now need to replace or atleast remove and clean the starter?

Oh excellent. Glycol does bad shit to electrics. I would recommend removing the starter, give it & the wiring connectors a good clean with a can of brakeclean, then repeat the process again with (now this gets a bit expensive) CRC CO Contact cleaner (about $35 a can) it washes away most stuff & leaves no residue, then floor test the starter before refitting. Its still cheaper than getting someone to open it up or a replacement! :thumbsup: