SAU Community

Strange Whining When Boosting In 3Rd Gear

jackbh241

I have just noticed a strange whining sound that comes on when I'm on moderate to hard boost up hills in 3rd gear. This has only happened a handful of times but would like to get on top of it early if it's an issue worth fixing. Any thoughts?

I am unsure as to whether it sounds like it's coming from the gearbox or the turbo? (The car is on 150,000kms and the turbo has never been serviced or highflowed so I'm expecting it to let go sometime soon but thus far no issues with it at all)

Any thoughts would be helpful

My car has sounded like a high pitched jet engine since I bought it some 50,000kms ago haha.

I was hoping that wasn't case, it isn't as loud as people say it sounds just before it goes.

How do people typically go about getting the turbo serviced? Does the engine have to come out to get to it? I have limited mechanical experience but do have friends who could help out, is it something any enthusiast with moderate mechanical skills could do and then get it sent off for a high flow? Sorry if this has been covered.

It is a big job. The motor doesn't need to come out. There is a few tricks to know which you can find by searching a bit on here. And a few custom tools seem to help a lot. Depending where you are located there are a few guys who can do ut for you at a reasonable cost considering the work that is required.

Just removing it to get sent off. Jetwreck is still doing some stuff. Would be worth hitting him up.

I got mine high flowed by precision turbo here in sydney and I'm very happy with it

• 2 weeks later...