SAU Community

R33 Help

kyle94

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and don't really have any experience with cars so please go easy on me!

4 years ago before I had my licence I bought my first car a 1993 R33 GTS-T. As I didn't do my homework on turbo laws in Queensland I have been unable to drive it on the road whilst I have my P's. So she has been sitting in my garage since then and has been quiet neglected! I am very busy with uni and work and therefore only get around to starting her up every 3-4 months, apart from a dead battery it usually starts up fine! In a few months I finally get my opens and will be able to drive the beast, I just wanted to know what my best options are in fixing her up to avoid any damage caused from this long period of neglect? People have told me that I will need to replace rubbers in the motor and all sorts of stuff (doesn't make sense to me). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and remember I'm new to this so go easy :)

Cheers

Hey kyle94,

I would check oil level then warm up the motor and then drop the engine oil, replace with good quality oil and new filter.

Next flush out the radiator and put in fresh coolant, make sure it is the right coolant as the wrong one can cause corrosion, bleed properly!

Check the gearbox and diff oils as a slow drip could have drained them over such a long time. If you haven't driven the car the oils just sit at the bottom of the Gearbox and Diff so everything sitting at the top dries out a little, I would change the oils in these also after driving it a short time to make sure everything is warmed up.

Give everything a good clean so that you can see if anything starts to leak. Check it a few times in the first couple of weeks of driving.

Make sure has good oil pressure, and give it a couple of good drives. Change the oil filter after a couple of hundred Kilometres, just to make sure!

Probably check the spark plugs, if you have been starting it and letting it idle, could be blackened from carbon build up.

ENJOY!!!

Cheers

if you have only been starting it and not moving the car then I would also check you brakes. They could seize up after sitting there for a long time. I would bleed the brakes and replace fluids. Drive it easy at first to make sure brakes are functioning well.

When I start it I usually give a squirt up and down my 200 meter driveway, so I give everything a chance to move around! but I will definitely give everything a good check over, I gave radiator a clean out and replaced the coolant about a month ago!

Thanks for the reply MattZilla and Abdul11

Cheers