SAU Community

Plenum Pipe Issues.

Hey guys just a noob question here... When we dropped the engine into my R32 rb20de some how two pipes got stuffed up on the plenum and no one can seam to figure out how haha..

These two pipes on the plenum were are they meant to run to ?

And the second one is a little valve on the back of the plenum?

Thanks for any help in advanced.. Last thing left on this build!

post-139471-0-21199900-1434083903_thumb.jpg

post-139471-0-87595900-1434084017_thumb.jpg

The upper one on the plenum goes to the nipple where the plenum meet the head right at the upper right of the cylinder one runner.

The lower one goes to the water pump if my memory serves me right. I need to check that on the pics I got. Will confirm this later.

The little pipe on the pressure regulator need to be plugged into the plenum. There is apparently to type of fuel rail on the rb20, one with only one fuel pressure régulator at the exit, and a second one with one at the entry and a second at the exit.

Both need to be pressure referenced to the plenum.

I was right, here are some pics to show where the 2 hoses on the plenum goes to :

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o4GcAJD3tKOF4Sd9FHSduNvLRZtJk3sGAtUWo45dBM=w1284-h963-no

The lower hone goes behind the thermostat :

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1SGo0MHKbNVf51jdJ76zt9E7m5vi6cT0RCmLAccmozI=w1284-h963-no

Headgasket or intake manifold gasket leaking.

I can't see any other source of water.

Does the water get in as soon as you pour water in the coolant system ? Or you need to run the engine/warm it up ?

Well with the top pipe removed you don't feed water to the "water rail" on the top of the runners, so it seems that the intake manifold gasket is leaking. Pretty badly I'd say if making the water flowing in the bloc/head is sufficient to fill the cylinder.

Would it matter / cause Any damage if I was to keep this perminatly blocked off?

That is until a later date that I redo all my gaskets.

Bearing in mind the engine is only being used on the track for 60km sprints one a month?

Cheers.

If you do not have the problem without the upper hose, it means that the coolant circuit is not bleeded properly so you can't run it like that.

If you do it anyway, the gasket could broke entirely and you risk a hydrolock and/or an overheating of the engine because of the non bleeded coolant circuit.

So no it's not really a good idea to run it like that.

All right looks like I rip the plenum and air intake manifold off this week and find the issue :3 cheers for your help!

Just found a oil leak too... Is there a easy way to get the oil filter housing off without removing the engine ?

So the Plenum is full of gasket glue. As per photo one.

Second thing (photo 2) are these three pipes correct?

Acc valve into y joiner.

Y join to air intake.

Y join down to another valve to just below throttle body.

post-139471-0-89353500-1434242157_thumb.jpg

post-139471-0-51385400-1434242180_thumb.jpg

This is the gasket where the runner meet the head that need to be changed not only the upper part of the plenum.

Once the runners off you'll have all the space needed to fix your oil leak too.

Os for the hoses yes it's right the way it's is plumbed. This is the idle/fast idle air circuit.

Plenum - manifold gasket.

Manifold - head gasket.

Oil filter housing gasket.

How painful to find one water leak when not knowing much about these engines haha .

Cheers for the help!