SAU Community

new importing rules

foibles

It's been a fair while since I've been on the forums....or anywhere near an import to be honest (just spent 4 weeks in Japan...saw 2 Supras and 3 Skylines.... these things are just nowhere to be seen anymore).

I see that there have been some changes to importing legislation made recently, and I am wondering if anyone on the forums has any knowledge of what these new rules mean;

1. 25 year rule - well, I guess this one is pretty simple. I presume it is simply month/year of production and - like the old 15 year rule - these cars will need to be complied at the 'state level' (ie not SEVS  RAWS - but you get them engineered to the relevant state requirements)

2. Changes to the SEVS / RAWS - I believe that cars like the Nissan R35 GTR (2007-2008) will soon be permissible, but it doesn't sound like there will be that many more 'jaw droppers' than we can currently get under SEVS / RAWS. I guess this means that cars will require a process similar to the current compliance process (similar but not the same....from the customers perspective you still pay a couple or a few thousand and wait for several weeks, to be told that your car now complies to Australian rules)

3. Can anyone shed light on the new 'variant' rule? My understanding is that it only applies where a 'variant' was made to less than 100 units per year, which includes both LHD and RHD. Given most sports cars are usually made in higher volume for LHD....that would generally mean no more than 10-20 RHD units made per year of manufacture. I cannot think of many cars (aside from ultra expensive collector cars) that fit this criteria. If a car is produced from (say) June 2012 to June 2013 - is that regarded as 2 years (200 units), or 1 year (100 units)?

Any thoughts on the advantages of the new rules with regards to turbo or similar performance vehicles?

Cheers,

Foibles

The limited production run cars will probably allow for Toyota Century's to be brought in. As well as bespoke manufacturers or tuners who sell the cars whole. Eg disability vehicles, parade vehicles, mitsuoka motors.

Also rule changes include EV cars.

Regardless of what cars get brought in, it doesn't change the local laws for P player approved vehicles... If that's why you're asking about turbos.

No - not at all interested in P plate regulations. 

Let's take your example of a Century for instance (although I am surprised that this would be eligible under limited production...but I have just googled and indeed some makes or even variants may meet the criteria).

Assuming you want one of these century's - will the new system be like the old one, where;

1. first someone must apply to get it on a register of approved vehicles (SEVS)
  2. engineers must submit 'evidence packages' (or whatever they are called)
  3. compliance agents (RAWS) then comply the car according to the approved package

Or is it likely to be more like the current 30-year rule - where you can import an eligible limited production vehicle (and by the way - who makes this decision and where is it published?) and simply get it registered to state laws?

The only person I have spoken to so far says 'nobody has any clue of how this is going to work' - but on the other hand - I believe importers are already offering to buy and store these cars. So...how can (or why would) you buy a car if you do not know how to get it 'complied and registered'? What if the bill is $10,000 and not $1500?

Edited by foibles

• 2 weeks later...

feedback from relevant federal department received today.....

The Department is seeking to have legislation introduced into Parliament that, if passed by Parliament, will postpone the commencement of the RVSA. However, until that legislation is passed by both houses of Parliament, we are still working to be ready for a commencement date of 10 December

and hence the saying 'caveat emptor'. there's a good chance that anyone who has bought such a car and is currently storing it overseas might just find their storage fees will continue on in perpetuity...if the department stalls the legislation into the never never... maybe we'll never access these cars.

gotta love agenda and the subjugation of democracy to profit the few...in this case new vehicle retailers

• Like 1