SAU Community

Toluene

MattR

Just wondering has anyone done any dyno runs with toluene?? Just did two runs on the weekend, one with out and one with Toluene. 160 with out and 166 with the Toluene in. The mixture was only 7:1 and still got a result, just a fluke or has anyone else also had any good results?? :confused:

Guest U ZCREAM

Hmmm, you should be careful with that stuff. I hear it can dry out your injectors. But if you're only using a small amount for a short period, you should be fine

Originally posted by U ZCREAM

Hmmm, you should be careful with that stuff. I hear it can dry out your injectors. But if you're only using a small amount for a short period, you should be fine

You are thinking of methanol (I think?). Toluene doesn't have this effect. The problem with toluene is getting a cold start when you run too high a mixture on a cold day.

MattR - It's good stuff isn't it.

:D

I've had a test on mine, no dyno time just a nice 200kms worth of driving. You will find that you can run more boost as well (within the limits of your headgasket and turbo of course). I ran a brief 14psi to test and it went fine.

With extra boost I'm sure you can get more than 166. BTW what mixture did you run?

From memory mine was 25-30%, I'd say a 10-15% would be better without a remapp unless you go extra boost.

Hey I used 2 litres Toluene to 30 litres Mobil 8000. Cant run anymore boost, Martin has re-mapped my computer and allready running 1 bar on standard turbo.

Originally posted by MattR

Hey I used 2 litres Toluene to 30 litres Mobil 8000. Cant run anymore boost, Martin has re-mapped my computer and allready running 1 bar on standard turbo.

whats the composition of toluene?

Gav as far as I know Toluene an Metholbenzene are diffarant according to the material safety data sheets. Toluene can be bought as a solvent or as a fuel addative, if you buy it as a solvent you pay about $50 for 20 litres if you buy it for a addative you pay about $70.

Actually correct chemical name IS methylbenzene, (methobenzene is also commonly used but is a misnomer).

I stole 4 litres when I did my chemistry/metallurgy degree (too many years ago now) and mixed it in the fule tank of my EK Holden (202 tripple f*ck yous, a lumpy seat and exagerators).

Thems were the day me boy!

MattR.. You run a bleed setup don't you?

You should be getting boost drop to 12 maybe 13psi up top.

Slap more boost in to it.. Maybe up to 17psi in the mid but it will drop back off to 13psi up top anyhow..

I ran my turbo like that for a while didn't damage it as far as I know.. Now with the EBC it holds 15psi all the way to redline and made 164rwkw with a untuned ecu.. So with a tuned ecu i might crack the 170 mark.. :D

http://forums.skylinesaustralia.com/showth...25&pagenumber=1

This is an previous thread on toluene, covers most of the questions, including the myth about toluene perishing fuel hoses.

BTW I think Boostmeister had a dyno run with 30%toluene mix and got 2rwkw extra without raising the boost any (where the extra power lives)

MattR; The stock turbo shouldn't have the boost raised past 1 bar anyway, so its of little value unless you get it rebuilt with a steel wheel.

Oh you still running stock cooler..

Maybe thats why the octane boost made such a difference as the air is hot and maybe there was really slight detonation where the ecu was pulling out timing and with the octane boost there was no more detonation..?!?