SAU Community

Should I rip this carpet out ?

someonestolecc

Gday,

Went out for a quick boost in the wet yesterday.

Car started to miss every now and again almost as if it was outta petrol.

It then cut out.

2mins later it started.

Then it cut out again.

I luckily managed to get my baby home - upon further investigation it seemed there was water all on the passenger foot well and (i think) it shorted or messed with the ECU.

I mopped most of it up last night - right now I've got some driers pointed at it and crankin .. my question is - should I jsut take the console, rear seat and driver seat out and pull the carpet out to dry it.. or just leave it and keep drying it?

Pics below.. ugh i hate these little things!! Also pictured is the culprit - ****ing grommet not in place!!

Better than it being your heater core and that liquid being coolant :P

guess it doesn't matter as long as it gets dry... - leave it in a garage with doors open, airing out overnight..

also there is a product we have here called hippo something, its like a mositure absorber.. absorbs moister out of the air and traps it int he container. may be worth leaving it in your passenger footweel for a few weeks to get any left over moister. costs about 5 bucks from supermarket

Thanks Ferni - will remember that one.

Actually soon after I wrote this post I went back to the garage to see how my heaters were doin - and wouldn't you know it it was almost dry.. so I flipped it around a few more times and they were dry as, not even damp!

So I then thought bugger it i'll take the seats out and give the car a vacuum, made it all cleanie clean, gave it a spray of glen 20 and the car feels clean and nice again.

Now ... to find me another grommet!! and yes lucky it wasn't coolant! :

Well .. grommeted it up.

Got a grommet from clark rubber. Cut it up and around. Prep-sol'ed around the area and siliconed it. Then put the grommet in. Waited. Once it had dried just put more silicone to fill the gaps. Then duct tape over the top to make sure it's fully air tight and protect the silicone.

Pic (incase someone wants to do this themselves)-