SAU Community

Help Bleeding Brakes

Chief

Hi guys, Im looking at changing my pads and rotors which are now quite worn, and Ive seen the user guides on how to do this and seeing it looks fairly simple, I think I'll try this myself.

While Im doing this, I might as well bleed the brakes and change brake fluid, since I havent done so since I got my r33 (2 years now).

Thing is I have no idea how to, can anyone give me some pointers at all, tried searching but couldnt find anything.

Any help appreciated!

Why is that Ben? Is it rather complicated to bleed the brakes by yourself? Ive read a couple of threads that described kits that can be bought allowing you to bleed the brakes without help, and I remember one thread refering to bleeding the brakes in a particular sequence, but Im not sure exactly what they were refering to.

If its going to be a complicated procedure I might just go to a brake place and get them to change everything for me instead. Its just that I been really getting into the DIY stuff of late; its rewarding for starters, you learn quite a bit about your car and you save a fair bit of money in the process.

I'm happy to change the pads etc myself but after having a spongy pedal for about a year i'll quite happily pay a real mechanic to bleed my brakes for me knowing that it is done 100% correctly.

Their is absolutely nothing worse than a spongy pedal.

Take it to your mechanic. It only costs $45 to get a brake flush. That's a complete flush out of all the old fluid and replaced with new fluid.

If you absolutely have to know then PM me and I will do a write up for you but it would be quite a long story if you know what I mean. And it is ALWAYS best done with 2 people. Yes you can do it by yourself but you more often than not leave air in the system and get a spongey pedal. Let me know how ya go.

If you know what you're doing it's probably best to do yourself. I have had cars where mechanics or their apprentices have left bolts out of gearboxes etc. Imagine if they left a bleed nipple not done up properly. Bleeding brakes is very straightforward and easy to get right, but in a busy workshop it can be easy for a mechanic to forget to do something up properly. A few years ago I got Midas to install a new brake booster in my Commodore, they didn't test them properly and my brakes stuck on. By the time I drove around the block and back to the workshop all 4 wheels were smoking like they were on fire.

If you want a professional to do it, take it to a reputable brake place like Race Brakes rather than your local servo workshop.

If you know what you're doing it's probably best to do yourself. I have had cars where mechanics or their apprentices have left bolts out of gearboxes etc. Imagine if they left a bleed nipple not done up properly. Bleeding brakes is very straightforward and easy to get right, but in a busy workshop it can be easy for a mechanic to forget to do something up properly. A few years ago I got Midas to install a new brake booster in my Commodore, they didn't test them properly and my brakes stuck on. By the time I drove around the block and back to the workshop all 4 wheels were smoking like they were on fire.

If you want a professional to do it, take it to a reputable brake place like Race Brakes rather than your local servo workshop.

So did they end up fixing the problem for you?