SAU Community

Thermo fans on intercoolers

So what do you reckon? Thermo fan on a intercooler.

I've just got the stock cooler on my GTST33 and I know they have problems with heat soak when on boost for extended periods. As far as I can see a thermo fan could completly eliminate this problem. As well as helping the convection cooling of the core and therefore further reducing the air charge temperature.

Also, if you have got a aftermarket FMIC in front of the radiator (or a GTR), a thermo fan could help prevent overheating problems by forcing more air through the cooler onto the airconditioning radiator and engine ratiator.

Just a 12inch davies craig (or similar) would be sweet.

Next prob would be how to switch it, it would be perfect to have it on when on boost and a few second delay after you come off boost, so maybe a thermo switch in the air flow on the hot side of he cooler with some sort of delay for the switch off.

Prolly not much of an advantage on a aftermarket cooler, on cars I have driven with decent coolers, the outlet side (cold side) of the coolers are supprisingly cool even after a flogging. But like I said may still be worth it for the overall heat rejection of the engine, or on the small stock cooler to reduce heat soak.

Any ideas?

I've played with the idea..

Problem is with my 100mm bar & plate there really isn't much room for a 12" thermo as towards the bottom of the fmic the gap between the condensor & the fmic is narrow. :)

i also played with the idea but went for the FMIC in the end

i actually tried to mount one in front of my trannie cooler but it wouldn't fit :D

i used a second-hand thermo fan from a mate's TX% turbo so try to source a cheaper fan first

i was going to simply wire it to a switch on the dash so i could just turn it on after/during a spirited drive

Interestingly, Nissan actually implemented this idea on the R31 GTS-R.

I would assume it was to force air through the cooler onto the radiator as the GTS-R has a large front mount covering the radiator.

It is an approx. 10 inch fan mounted on the front drivers side of the cooler.

Interestingly, Nissan actually implemented this idea on the R31 GTS-R.

I would assume it was to force air through the cooler onto the radiator as the GTS-R has a large front mount covering the radiator.

It is an approx. 10 inch fan mounted on the front drivers side of the cooler.

Pics pics pics. :P

If you sit in traffic for extended periods on a regular basis i think it could be a good idea, but otherwise i'd take waterspray but as effective as it is you still need airflow, so ideally you'd have BOTH on a FMIC :P

In summary, i'd go with a simple FMIC, or if you want to remain stock looking setup a waterspray (remember my traffic exception).