SAU Community

turbo sound

shmiddy

i have a 450hp hiflow and a hks evc 4 boost controller but its not tuned and im running stock boost, once the turbo wind sound start goin after about 2 seconds there is another noise coming in kind of lick when you pinch a balloon and let the air out that reall high pitched noise but its not really that quite high pitched but a bit more dense, now ive only had my car about a month and i dont know anything about it, i dono if its just normal the turbo holding presure or what i mean it could be normal anyone help plz

A balloon pinch of air like its trying hard to get threw. Is the rubber hose that runs between your AFM and the turbo... This hose can pinch inward due to age and the amount of air being drawn. I replaced my rubber hose with a alloy part. As most do with turbo uogrades.

Cause when its made of metal it aint gonna pinch inward....

But this is strange at stock boost....?

could also be something as simple as a hose clip loose / broke etc ... the noise is air escaping from between the rubber pipe and the metal of the tubing ...

I had it befor on my mr2 tubby ... sounded exactly like this ..

do around and check all the clips on the piping ... if one looks or feels a little loose, tighten or replace it

LOL I kow that sound very well...

Very funny actually..

I swore that I had a leak in the pipework somewhere, it haunted me for months.. Then when it went up on the dyno for a few runs I got him to hold it at boost while I tried to find the leak.

It was frustrating cause with the bonnet up the noise would disapear, bonnet down it was there again...

Me and my mate where scratching our heads.. Then we found out what it was.

With the bonnet down the air getting sucked in through the bonnet crack then swirling into the stock airbox scoop was making the air whissle !!!

As soon as we lifted the bonnet about 4-5mm it would change the way the air was being sucked in and the noise stopped...

It had me frustrated for months and it was something so damn simple :)

J

LOL I kow that sound very well...

Very funny actually..

I swore that I had a leak in the pipework somewhere, it haunted me for months..  Then when it went up on the dyno for a few runs I got him to hold it at boost while I tried to find the leak.

It was frustrating cause with the bonnet up the noise would disapear, bonnet down it was there again...

Me and my mate where scratching our heads..  Then we found out what it was.

With the bonnet down the air getting sucked in through the bonnet crack then swirling into the stock airbox scoop was making the air whissle !!!

As soon as we lifted the bonnet about 4-5mm it would change the way the air was being sucked in and the noise stopped...

It had me frustrated for months and it was something so damn simple :)

J

are you serious, thats crazy, i still havent fixed it, but the other day i was putin new globes in my lights and so i had to remove the air filter and then for the arvo after i put it back on it stopped, but its back now, im goin into cypher or xspeed for a tune in a few eeks might just get them to have a look, or take my bonnet of and go up the street to see if your theary is on par

LOL - it was very funny.. We just couldn't belive it.

When it was on the dyno and doing the runs I remembered that I wanted to check it out for leaks, but we couldn't find anything. Even with a sethascope (sp?) we couldn't hear any leaks.

Then I put the bonnet down to try and keep the engine noise down a bit and then the noise came back straight away. We eventually narrowed the noise down the the front right hand side of the bonnet (where the air box is) and when I got the tuner to pop the bonnet (and it popped up 5-10 mm to the latch) the noise stopped straight away.

About then is when my mate and I turned to each other and at the same time we said "oh get f^%#ed !!!"

J

i just popped the bonnet and went for a spin, it didnt really seem to do to much it did sound a little less noisy but i think it might be my plastic pipe to the turbo, when i was lookin at it today it also had another pip on it but its been cut and pinched shut so i might just get a new steel pipe.. its got me stuffed cos it sounds like its restrictin the boost a bit but oh well such is life

A balloon pinch of air like its trying hard to get threw. Is the rubber hose that runs between your AFM and the turbo... This hose can pinch inward due to age and the amount of air being drawn. I replaced my rubber hose with a alloy part. As most do with turbo uogrades.

Cause when its made of metal it aint gonna pinch inward....

But this is strange at stock boost....?

i installed a 3" front and dump pipe, and i am now running about 11psi. I have noticed a similar sound. Were can i buy the alloy replacement pipe (and how much?), coz the thought of my RB25 struggling to breath brings a tear to my eye!! :)