SAU Community

Squeak in dash - where is it?!

JimX

If there was anything at all to remind me that my car is really just a Japanese Commodore, it's the bloody squeaks in the dash!

I don't expect anyone to be able to find them for me, but what I was hoping was that if there was anyone that identified a squeak in their dash, could they post in here what it was and how they fixed it if they know how (or just ask for advice like I am).

I've got 2 squeaks in my dash, both sounding like they're in the centre somewhere. I think I've identified one, but I don't know how to fix it. This one seems to be a flap in one of the air conditioning ducts in the middle which temps to thump/clunk up and down when I go over bumps or get a standing wave in it over multiple bumps. I've found a bit that's movable on the right hand side when I stick my hand through the centre console with the radio removed, and I can make the same noise manually. But it doesn't seem loose, and it springs back ok, so I'm not sure what I can do to fix this. Perhaps gluing some clark rubber along it or something.

The other one seems to be higher than that, but looking at pics of a disassembled dash there doesn't seem to be anything up there capable of making this noise. It's kind of a metal-on-metal creak type noise, or perhaps plastic on metal. It tends to happen only on small bumps or generally uneven road. I thought it might be my suspension from either the radius rod bushes or the swaybar, but this seriously seems to be coming from the middle of the car and there are no bushes there. I deduced this by asking my passenger - it's coming from her right, but my left. This has to be in the middle, surely?! It also sounds like it's in the high cabin rather than under the car and outside. But squeaks are the master of ventrilloquism so I'm not ruling out anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

u know wat ... i have the same issue :) this bloody SQUEAK is sh#$ing me to DEATH! i think its passenger side near air duct too or down the windscreen air duct i cant tell and my missus has no idea either :)

I would like to get some feedbak here to :(

Yep, i had this ever since i owned my car. Its a knocking sound that happens on bumpy roads somwhere in the passenger side of the dash. Short of ripping the whole dash assembly out, i've tried everything to fix it! Seeing as there is 4 days in this weekend, i reakon ill pull the dash out. The roads are shit where i live, so combined with 'solid as' tanabe coil-overs the noise drives me crazy!

u know wat ... i have the same issue :) this bloody SQUEAK is sh#$ing me to DEATH! i think its passenger side near air duct too or down the windscreen air duct i cant tell and my missus has no idea  either :D

I would like to get some feedbak here to :)

Yeah i have that, but not so much a squak but quiet rattle, I have a bit of crap floating around so it might not be anything but i've had a quick whip around with no luck! :(

Ok, ive pulled the dashboard out. I went for a short drive, but im limited to where i go (due to no indicators) I've found the area where my rattle is coming from. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

Cheers,

Sam

The rattle is actually behind that heater box that the arrow is pointing at. Does anyone know of there is much of an area behind that box? I really don't want to pull it all the way out if i can help it (removing that intrusion bar and everything underneath it doesn't look like an easy job).

Cheers,

Sam

damn you done lots to get that dash off.

i was about to say i had a squeek in the centre of the car and thought it was the dash.

actually found out it was the rear view mirror, that lever you use to pull the mirror back and forth to cut highbeam reflection.

Yeah hey, pulling the dash out was a pain! But i still haven't located the rattle! I also pulled the LH guard out and everything inside that and removed the side skirt. the rattle wins this one cos i dont want to strip the car down to a bare shell looking for it. It wasn't a complete waste of time though, i tidied up a lot of dodgy and exposed wiring around the instrument cluster and stereo, and replaced all of the dash and vent seals with new weather strips.