SAU Community

Turbo Bearings dead! Can it be replaced?

Due to some misfortune in the form of my turbo oil lines bursting in flames and oil leaking out causing oil starvation, my Turbo bearings are dead. Well atleast Im pretty sure they're dead, the car is not making power on the dyno and there's this high pitch screetching noise from the turbo at idle.

The turbo in question is a HKS 2535 so Im considering my options at the moment, Is it worthed to buy a new bearing cartridge? how much are they and where can I get them from? Or should I just throw this turbo in the bin and go source another one?

Due to some misfortune in the form of my turbo oil lines bursting in flames and oil leaking out causing oil starvation, my Turbo bearings are dead. Well atleast Im pretty sure they're dead, the car is not making power on the dyno and there's this high pitch screetching noise from the turbo at idle.

The turbo in question is a HKS 2535 so Im considering my options at the moment, Is it worthed to buy a new bearing cartridge? how much are they and where can I get them from? Or should I just throw this turbo in the bin and go source another one?

Ring your local turbo shop, is that Per4manz? The 2535 has pretty much a standard Garrett core, so it may be a easy swap job. For a pice comparison give GCG or Ray Hall a call.:)

Thanks SK

I'll do that soon, Is there like a model number for the garrett core Im looking for? or are they the same for most of its turbo range?

I think it's a GT25 core, but the turbo specialsits will know what is a 2535.:)

That scratching noise is probably the turbine hitting the compressor cover, I've had two bearing cartridges collapse in the space of weeks and both needed new bearings and front compressor wheels and needed to go to Garret to be balanced. I got a bit of deal done but you would be looking at close to $800 i figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a look at the turbo today

Bearings definitely dead, the blades would hardly spin

A lot of resistance and a lot of shaft play

I dont see it hitting the compressor cover though

If the blades is only slightly rubbing the compressor cover, would I need to change it? I cant see any physical damage

you'll probably also need to get a new thrust bearing... might as well get a new turbo because all that stuff adds up especially from shops that do it for you. I dont know of any shops that do balancing of the rotating assembly outside of the states, be sure to ask specifically how they balance the parts if you do decide to rebuild.