SAU Community

Electronic Oil Temp Gauge Problem

Tommyk

Hi guys

Ive hooked up my electronic oil temp gauge, but im not getting any realistic reading.

Now I need to know this -> at the present moment the gauge is floating. Not connected to anything, so the reading im getting is pretty haywire (150 deg). Once its mounted (its getting screwed into the oil cooler remote relocater), and is grounded, will it work?

I tried to ground the temp sensor, but the reading didnt change.

Is there a way of testing either the gauge or the sensor to see if either of them are faulty ?

Thanks heaps for anyone who can help :(

Sounds like it probably needs to be earthed. Simplest way to check it would be to rig up a power supply and appropriate earth system then dunk the sensor in a pot of boiling water.....if the gauge reads anything other than 100C (more or less), there's something wrong.

Well

The gauge is powered correctly (accessory, constant batt, ground and illumination)

The other end goes to the sensor. But the reading isnt correct.

I havent connected the sensor to anything yet, b ut just having the sensor in the air, I get a reading of like 160/170 degrees which is off the scale and is j ust plain wrong?

:)

I hope the gauge/sensor isnt stuffed.

Does anyone know how the sensor works and what reading it sends to the gauge?

There are two wires going to the sensor. Im assuming one must be a voltage source, the other must be the signal running from the temp sensor.

At the same time, the sensor MUST be grounded, or is it ?

Cheers

Hmmm ive just tested it with a multimeter.

The sensor works, in that it gives off a change in resistance according to a change in temperature.

Is it possible that the unit has been decalibrated ?

Theres those plugholes on the back and when you take them off, theres variable resistors ? Any ideas ?

Im lost :)