SAU Community

100 000km Service Time......

MR R32

Hi,

There is about 99 000 kms on my clock at the moment and my car was due for a service at 98 000.

I am going to get the major service done pretty soon, and want to know what is the BEST way to go about it without burning a hole in my pocket.

I have been quoted approx $1000 from 2 workshops for a major service.

Can you guys please let me know exactly what I should have done and what I should expect to pay. The car is running like a dream at the moment and has a 3 inch turbo back exhaust and air filter with heat partition. Spark plugs were changed on my last service.

I am thinking about getting my injectors cleaned too.

Also need to install a boost gauge but have no idea how to do any of this stuff....

Anywhere you guys can recommend?

Sounds like you're on the right track. I can't give you a suggestion of a workshop, but if you are handy with a socket set you could do most/all of the service yourself.

1.Your timing belt will HAVE to be changed, ask around about the horror stories if you don't.

2. You should have your water pump replaced as well.

3. Good synthetic oil/filter

4. Fuel filter code Z200

5. Check you plugs, if in good nick leave them be, if they are looking a bit worse for wear, cough up for decent platinums.

6. Getting you injectors cleaned/tested would be a good idea as they have been known to cause problems sometime (usually due to bad maintenance)

You really should be able to do all this yourself very easily except for the timing belt and water pump. The reason your costs are so high is the labour involved in replacing these parts.

If you can do it yourself, or even ask some guys on the forum for help (offer 'em a steak and a carton).

All up should cost you max $500 including everything - so $500-700 goes on labour.

Hope this helps. Someone else may have something to add?

Cheers,

Tim

Guest too quick
Originally posted by MR R32

THanks for your reply Tim.

Can anyone tell me where they have had a major service done and how much they have paid.  

Is there anyone in here that lives aroung the Castle Hill area in Sydney that would be handy with a socket set?

Hey,

let us know how you go - about to move back to Sydney for a while and want to work on my own car too and I'm going to be living out near the Castle Hill area - my old turf... can't wait to do some work on the car!

Maria

Can anyone list -everything- that is done in a major service ?

Everytihng from oil change to the mechanics scratching themselves ?

I've only done 64,000km but im just interested to know.

This is what I would do.

1. Replace Cam Belt ~ $103

2. Replace Waterpump!!! ~ $75

3. Replace Thermostat!!! ~ $24.95

4. Gasket Paper for the Thermostat Housing $4 and the goo stuff $5 maybe.. But it is cheap.

5. Get the Block Powerflushed and the Radiator Rodded. ~$120-$185

DIY obviously.

The reason why i say the last few (cooling system) is I've just blowen a head gasket due to the temperature getting up to 3/4 and having to hit boost up flagstaff hill to get up there. EDIT: No It was a air lock.. No CO2 in the Coolant... :(

Get the cooling system done...

When I had the twin Thermo's fitted I had no overheating problems. To be on the safe side I had my radiator Rodded at the same time.

BUT.. It didn't work, Obviously there was crap in the block as this summer hits and it starts to overheat.

I ran Mukout in the car for the last 2 days and flushed the motor/block my self and it has fixed the overheating problem.

Only ever so slightly though. It doesn't use water YET and there is no water in the oil, it idles smooth but there are tiny bubbles in the radiator.

Cooling system is a priority!!!!

Also Flush your brakes and Mastercyclinder!

Guys a major service dosnt just meen under the bonnet e.g:

diff oil

gearbox oil & filter (if auto)

handbreak adjustment

break fluid flush mechine disks and new pads (if ness)

air filter

air line hoses

radiator and heater hoses

full wheel bearing and bush lube

cv joints re packed

uni joints greesed

door hinges and locks lubed

as well as the jobs mentioned in other posts above

prob more that I cant think of atm

a full diag of the engine management sys (reg proper diag equipment that not many mechnics have! (even tho most say they do),(they plug the car into a computer at the fuse box under the dash and can tell anything about the car and how its running).easy way to get ripped off by mechnics that dont do what they say or dont have the equipment to do the job properly)

a major service should include a go over the whole car!

Regards

Damqik

At this stage, I will be having the car done by Rev Rite Performance in Silverwater. They are honest guys, and do a lot of Jap Imports - just waiting on an approximate price, and a holder for my Autometer boost gauge, and then she will be done.

The fitted my turbo back exhaust and did a service for me about 2 months ago. I highly recommend them.

Will post the results in the new year.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GodFather

MR R32

So Rev Rite are pretty good huh?

I have 130,000 or so on my R33 and as far as I can tell (have had it for 10,000 or so) I don't think it's had the belts and stuff changed.

Wanted to get a servicer who knows their Skylines and can do a decent service as well a tune on the whole shell.

So if this guys know their stuff, are trustworthy and well priced hand over their details.

Cheers mate.

The service is done now!

It was done by RevRite Performance in silverwater for $760.00

Got it back today, they got broken into last night, but only went for the GTR that was being rebuilt and walked straight past mine - they knew what they were after.

The timing on my car was off, and has now been fixed. Much more responsive now. A bit of an animal......

On the way home, I pulled up next to a VT Series 1 SS on Silverwater Rd (late xmas present). Burnt him badly - at the next set of lights, he asked me to wind down my window, and said Thanks mate that sounded awesome. He was actually pretty good about it all. He was about 35-40. Tried to blame his auto box.

Told him I just had a major service done - and he just said have fun!

I strongly reccommend REVRITE PERFORMANCE in Silverwater.

heheh I burnt a Maloo Manual 255LS1 red ute with custom number plates this morning.

Same thing 40year old bloke & he started it.

I really expected it to be quicker. Had 2 runs with him one from 50kays (big mistake right in my peak torque & wheel spun through second as I was on a real slight bend when I planted it) and another from a set of lights. I launched with wheel spin in first (crappy Baraum tyres) 1/2 a car length behind by the end of second I catched him nose to nose chirped third and pulled passed him quite easily.

Basically it felt like I could have backed off then played with him a little.

Yer those VT SS Auto's are a little sluggish (stock).