SAU Community

Why do RB20's need an AP eng PFC?

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me why RB20's need an "AP engineering" version of the power FC. I'd guess that it would have something to do with the RB20 having less conventional system software for the FC to interface with or something.

Can someone in the know please shed some light on this?

ummm, how to answer this...

The reason that you need the AP Engineering version is because Apexi themselves don't specifically make a PFC to suit the RB20. AFAIK AP Engineering take one of the std PFCs and modify it so it will work with the RB20.

Isnt most of it just loom tho? And then they wack a base map on it?

Because not all that many (up until recently) other aftermarket ECU makers have had plug in systems, you just buy it and get someone to wire it up, then either dl someone else tune to get to the dyno, or guess it, or tow it.

Or so I thought anyway.

It needs changes, I believe the main changes are for the different ignition system.. coils are same, but ignitor is different, cas, injectors (low vs high) +extra cc.

Other differences no doubt.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me why RB20's need an "AP engineering" version of the power FC. I'd guess that it would have something to do with the RB20 having less conventional system software for the FC to interface with or something.

Can someone in the know please shed some light on this?

There is ZERO technical reason, its all about demand, development cost and money. Apexi thought there was not enough demand for R32GTST Power FC's, well not enough for Apexi's long production runs. Consequently they didn't develop the software or make them. Enough people wanted them (for a small run) so Apexi got AP Engineering to make them (they are good at small run, special stuff) but as a result the price was double that of an R32GTR Power FC.

;)