SAU Community

Noise From Dashboard

harryg

Occassionally, I hear a hissing sound from within the dashboard which seems to be coming from the air conditioning vents. Are there some motors that control the air flow from the vent as I have climate control is my car?

The sound is only there for 2 seconds and then would come back after a few minutes.

Most of the time I hear it while on the Motorway as the car is cruising and there is no music on etc. It is very faint but I am not sure if it is something serious as I am only a 2month old skyliner.

Thanks in advance

There is a motor/actuator that opens/closes the vents when chaning 'modes' try it, change the mode from feet to face to top vent and listen closely (dont need to have engine running)

There is a motor/actuator that opens/closes the vents when chaning 'modes' try it, change the mode from feet to face to top vent and listen closely (dont need to have engine running)

Yes, I thought it was the case but even when it is set to a single mode and I am not changing it, I can faintly hear the motors. I guess it's the climate control system opening and closing the vents to maintain the set temperature.

Thanks for that, I was just a bit worried that something might be wrong.

:D

I've got that problem in my r33. When i turn the car on the ticking noise starts coming from the dash(near climate control), and lasts for few seconds. Change the mode to feet and face it stops it... so it only does it when the mode is to face or the climate control is OFF. What should i look for?

• 4 weeks later...
I've got that problem in my r33. When i turn the car on the ticking noise starts coming from the dash(near climate control), and lasts for few seconds. Change the mode to feet and face it stops it... so it only does it when the mode is to face or the climate control is OFF. What should i look for?

*BUMP*

My r33 does this also. When you turn the key to the 'ON' position it makes a clicking/ticking noise like TK TK TK TK for a few secs then stops.

My sisters bf tried telling me it was the fuel pump pumping fuel to the engine that was making the noise, but my mate and I decided it was something to do with the climate control (as it made the noise again if you turned the climate control off or changed settings etc).

Is it supposed to be audible (it is easy to hear)?

My r32 Does the same but very Rare

I have it on Face and it goes tick tick tick tick tick, Scared the shit outa me when I first heard it. To stop it I changed it to feet and it stoped, I think its the motor getting Jammed by something or its trying to go lower then it is able. But i know its not a good thing, If you can hear a whine yes it the vents doing there job shouldnt be overerly loud tho, Might need re-greasing.

Guys, the sound coming from the dash that sounds like little motors are normal. They control the set temp from the climate control. You will notice this sound when manually adjusting the temp on the climate control. This is not a problem.

The ticking noise comes from the winscreen demister vents. When the car or climate control system is turned on, it goes through a vent check. The connectors to the vents on top of the dash, aiming at the windscreen are known to dislodge and when they are activated to open/close the vents, it clicks. This is a problem and the only way to fix is to pull out the dash. This is not worthwhile fixing as after a while, it will dislodge again. This ticking sounds occurs in all Skylines I've been in...

Hope this helps. B)