SAU Community

How bad is the stock airbox/filter?

T0nyGTSt

Factory filter is crap, at the very least replace it with a K&N one or something like that, I'd be tempted to replace the airbox aswell, no point making the car work hard to get it's air. I have a Blitz SUS pod filter, very high flow, poor filtering.

See'ya:burnout:

stock air box is ok. The Mine's guys use it on their GTR's, with a little better ducting and an aftermarket panel element.Their GTR is around 700HP.

I have the factory unit with a K&N filter, it's not too bad. Comparing the best with the worst (factory paper filter) all you are going to get is 4rwhp if you are lucky. Put the spare $200 you save on the K&N panel over the pod / custom box and put it into something else. Unless you like the induction noise that is.

I agree with rev210 that the difference in power is small, but I think the biggest advantage is in throttle response, the air doesn't have to overcome the extra resistance of the panel style filters. So while top end power is negligible the usable power is more responsive.

I've felt the difference in my car and would never go back, but if you don't want to spend the money then the stock box will still work.

im gonna completely remove the airbox (keep it in my garage for emergencies :P) and have a stainless steel pipe going all the way down to my front bar on the side where the standared cooler goes (gotta love 400r front bar) with a filter at the end like k&n or something

Yeah probrably not a good idea doxx, will get damaged easily cause lots of rocks and such and fly up there, not to mention bits of tar etc etc.. Unless you mesh around it or something, but then that restricts the air further..

As for the airboxes, wouldn't it be a good idea to put a k&N panel filter on and then just use a larger air intake scoop thingy, or a custom CAI pipe leading into the airbox itself??

Adding a POD without getting cool air to it will not improve your performance much at all. The stock R33 airbox draws cool air from under the bonnet, simply adding a K&N panel filter will give you similiar performance gains, better filtering and draw cool air from outside.

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to loose power, the air intake on the stock airbox is quite restrictive and panel filters also require more effort for the air to get through. The pod filters in conjuction with a cold air intake or partition should lead to the best result.

I would think that bringing the cold air to the filter would be easier and better than placing the filter down in the cold air, only a little bit of crap is required to stuff a turbo.

Adding the POD without getting cold air to it will not add much top-end hp, but it should improve throttle response, but it is definately better if you can get cold air to it aswell.

See'ya :burnout:

The design of the air feed into the cold air box can have an effect on throttle response when moving at speed.

The stock design takes air from an ideal pressure zone at the lip of the bonnet. When moving this enables a bit of air 'ramming', something alot of cold air partitions don't have, but race cars do.

The pod filter does not provide any greater torque than an aftermarket panel, and without a cold air partition it is guarenteed to make less,the 'placebo' throttle response is the only thing improved if adding the pod without a partition.

If your running the stock cooler than the air temp might make a little bit of difference to power but with a decent cooler then you will make more power, even if only marginal. I don't think the throttle response is a 'placebo' effect, the increased airflow from the pod will help spin the turbo up sooner and should also allow better airflow back out aswell.

Does anyone knows what the K&N panel filter part no that will fit into R33 GTS-t standard airbox?

Alternatively, what about IMPUL panel air filter, are they good, are they paper/oil type filter?

I know K&N is oil type, will it mess up your hotwire airflow meter?

Originally posted by rs73

Does anyone knows what the K&N panel filter part no that will fit into R33 GTS-t standard airbox?

Alternatively, what about IMPUL panel air filter, are they good, are they paper/oil type filter?

I know K&N is oil type, will it mess up your hotwire airflow meter?

The K&N filter for the R33 is the same as late 80's to current model commodores.