SAU Community

Boost Issue, Wastegate Spring?

DRIFTPIG

Hey guys, i have an issue with my r33 gtst. It is boosting all over the joint at the moment. It has a t61, hks ext wastegate and hks electronic boost controller. What is happening is when i put it on high boost (19psi) it boosts up to it then drops off to 13-14psi then back up to 19 then down and so forth. Its holdin 19psi for about a second if that and then drops and is back up again within a second or 2 again. its not a sharp spike or anything, more of a rolling type boost problem. It did do it when i bought the car, i put it on high boost and it did it so i decided not to use high again untill i got it tuned. Besciani's tuned it for me and one of the problems he found was that it wouldn't boost above 14psi so he checked and the wastegate spring was old and stuffed. Not having another 14psi hks spring he decided to put a turbosmart 7psi in as well as the original hks one, therfore it now has 2 springs in it. This fixed the problem and boost went straight back up to 19psi on high boost, all was good.

Now a month later, that same problem has come back. Does it sound like maybe the hks spring has compressed even more due to more pressure on it? or maybe the 2 springs are entangled with each other? As i'm not sure if the wastegate spring was even the problem the first time (could have been tuning issue or something else?) im not sure where else to look. I have ordered a spring for it but thought i'd maybe look at other avenue's while i wait for the spring. Does anyone else know what else it could possibly be, or does this sound like its definitely the wastegate spring not holding again?

Thanks for reading and i hope i make sense!!!

Cheers

Danny

If you already knew the spring was stuffed i certainly wouldnt have been using it in combo with another.

Its ok to run a few. The was turbosmart ones are now you can get a small or a large one.

so you can slap a big 7psi + small 7psi to make 14psi.

Or you can get a big 14 psi spring to start and put smaller in the middle.

All about flexibility.

Replace the sping first mate, then go from there. Should never have put a crook part back in!

Only even going to cause more problems

hmmm, very true. It was something we both decided to do, as i'd driven 2 hours for the dyno tune, and then when it wouldn't hold boost we had the options of driving home and going back another day, or pop the other spring they had there in and see if that worked. Guess with 280kw i was more interested in showin up gen3's and xr6/8's than fixing the bandaid we'd put on! lol

So i take it that it does sound like a wastegate spring related issue?