SAU Community

Buying A Car From Interstate...

lows_13

that's easy. It depends on which state.

Very formally and generally, you have to have the seller unregister the car itself

and then you can bring it back to your state. Easy way is to use the transporters else you can drive it back to your state.If you lived in VIC, just get an "unregistered vehicle" pass for $30 something the first day and a few dollars for each of the next few days from VICROADS.

Once you get it back to your own state, do a roadworthy and get the necessary documents. Then, bring it into the road authority(like VICROADS and so forth for other states) and get it registered.

Piece o' cake...

Make sure you get the car inspected though...

that's easy. It depends on which state.

Very formally and generally, you have to have the seller unregister the  car itself

and then you can bring it back to your state. Easy way is to use the transporters else you can drive it back to your state.If you lived in VIC, just get an "unregistered vehicle" pass for $30 something the first day and a few dollars for each of the next few days from VICROADS.

Once you get it back to your own state, do a roadworthy and get the necessary documents. Then, bring it into the road authority(like VICROADS and so forth for other states) and get it registered.

Piece o' cake...

Make sure you get the car inspected though...

At the current petrol prices, wouldn't you be much better off calling up a transport company and spending about $280 transporting it from let's say Sydney - Melbourne. This way, your car will not be at risks of stone chips and other unexpected 'vistors' on your way back on the highway. Rather than spending your precious time driving it back.

My 2cents.

Hi. I have a question here. If i want to buy a import from south australia. (I am from Melbourne) since the imports there don't need the compliance plate on the car even they are already complied, what do i actually need to do here? re-comply again? hope someone can help answering my questions... cheers everyone

Joe

At the current petrol prices, wouldn't you be much better off calling up a transport company and spending about $280 transporting it from let's say Sydney - Melbourne. This way, your car will not be at risks of stone chips and other unexpected 'vistors' on your way back on the highway. Rather than spending your precious time driving it back.

My 2cents.

well that's true but if you can afford a skyline, would you be thinking about petrol prices?

also, another thing with transporting cars is that you don't want your car to be in the depot overnight or so.Who knows what those animals would do to it.

Also,well,i'm a car carer so i don't like no body touching my car but my mechanic or my girl. :lol: