SAU Community

Stagea Error Codes

Tangles

Stupid post I know; had a good search, a read thru various threads about resetting ECU, flashing the grey plug in the fuse area, etc.

Basically, Ive just had two faults come up on the dash since the stereo install - the 4WD light and the ABS light next to it, both on the dash. They come on after about 60sec of driving (and stay on), but wont come on if you have the car runing in nuetral or park (on start up). I havent driven it much as Im unsure as to whether this will damage anything?

I disconnected the battery, got the power out of the car (held down the horn, flashed the brakes, fiddled with the lights, etc), got it going again, but the 4WD & ABS lights came on within a 1km of driving.

Should I flash the ECU via a paperclip in the grey plug? Im not sure at all of which 2 pins to be shorting out - can anyone photoshop 1 of these pics of this grey plug and mark out the 2 pins to short out)?

Or should I simply have the workshop check it all out when I take it down for more tuning work (in 4 weeks time maybe)?

Suggestions please? :D

post-18854-1128768117.jpg

post-18854-1128768240.jpg

post-18854-1128768498.jpg

post-18854-1128768616.jpg

If you can get a pic of the back of the plug I'll be able to tell straight away. It's the two wires that are seperate from the others and they are right at one end of the plug. Saying that, best to find some doco on it before you go and short them out...

About the ABS light, it's pretty typical that it comes on after you've disconnected the battery. Apparently to get rid of it you press the drivers door light switch 5 times as soon as you turn the ignition key on. Sounds strange, and I've never tried it myself, but they say that's how you do it !!

J

my bloody abs light wont go off since disconnecting the airbag plugs and pulling dash apart, might give Jays theory a try :O

oh and 4wd light is staying on too but i cant tell if thats the fact i aint running the rb25 ecu anymore or it aint hooked up right? :)

Hi guys, Im desperate for suggestions.

Here is the scenario: dropped off car Friday morning for the stereo install, was running perfectly, no error codes whatsoever. Picked it up Friday night and the ABS & 4WD lights came on after 30secs of driving.

I discharged the battery (reset ECU), error codes still on the car. I rang the radio place, they said its all good: power supply and ground is as per beforehand with the old standard stereo, so total denial there. Told me if its there problem they'll pay for it under warranty, but got to have a mechanic fix it first.

So thats a dead end - now Im heaps worried about the 4wd system - should the car be driven or not????? Tonight I'll have to pull out the ECU and check what error code flashes are coming up and go from there - Ive printed out a couple of pages of error code info.

But, any other suggestions on how this could have happened? Any suggestions on how to get the 4wd system working again?

Im damn scared that I might damage the cars 4wd system, Ive already done 90kms since picking it up (50 of those getting the side skirts quotation for various stagea owners). Someone, anyone?

EDIT: in times of need ask for help, so thats what Im doing! Thanks in advance!!!!

Edited by bwilkeson

hahahahaha

What a loser I am! In all this excitment I didnt check the basics:

Blown fuses in the abs section in the engine bay fuse box, and I also want to pass a voltemeter over the 4wd black box fuse to make sure that is aok.

Also, word of note, my Stagea ECU does not have LED's or the little screw that you can turn and read the error codes. It just aint there!

Yeah, Im gathering that the ECU on the Stagea (early series 1 at least) is not the same at all as the ECU on a series 2 R33 GTSt. Well, mine is definately different!

The stereo installers didnt disconnect the battery (they told me so), so Id suggest when they've hooked up a component to the battery (the 'glow' tube), they've shorted out some fuses.

Have to replace the abs fuses, and test the 4wd fuse, and go from there. Glad to have found a 'fault' as such!

Please see my first post and those pretty pictures......

Guys - looking for a Fuse List for these fuses behind the coin box (in the dash, near drivers right knee). Anyone?

Can someone please post up the Fuse List under a new thread (such as Stagea Fuse List details) to help others out in the future.

Photo, PDF, scanned image..... has anyone got a list of these fuses? Still trying to fix the abs and 4wd problem. Car wont be driven until its all sorted. BUT, I dont have a fuse list that I can find.

Cheers in advance - Brendan

OK, see Stagea Fuses and Fuse Box for pics of the fuses and the list.

As an update, I bought a Narva Auto Fuse, P/No. 53530BL Fusible Link, mini female plug 30Amp with Lock, 32V. Costs $8.10 at Repco, or $25 at Nissan!!

This fuse is the green one that you'll find throught your fuse box in the engine bay - in particular the ABS section. Dont confuse this with the under dash fuse box.....

One of my ABS 30amp fuse has blown, so I replaced it, started the car, took it out for 200metres, and the fuse had blown again. So, Id suggest its a dodgy wiring job from the stereo installers.

Ive sent the car back to them with a 'fix it' note, to get it right. Id suggest they've crossed some wires and hence the system is overloading one particluar ABS 30amp fuse.

I'll keep you updated.......

UPDATE:

Stereo installers put screws thru the wiring harness.... duh!! :) <_< :O:)

Auto electrician wasnt told the full story, in particular about a CD stacker fixed under the passengers seat.

He followed the cables to find the CD stacker and immediately saw the screws thru the wiring harness. :)

This was earthing out the system, and blowing the 30amp fuses (big ones to blow apparently).

SO - all fixed. Hurrah. :D

4WD & ABS work again, stereo ppl's footed the bill, and I am 1 relieved Stagea driver. :lol: :P

Spent hrs upon hrs searching these threads for any info whatsoever (now not a fan of the searc button, done too much of it in the past 7 days!!) :lol:

Brendan

Edited by bwilkeson

• 4 months later...

Another addition to this thread.

I was doing some redoing of the plugs on my ECU and removed the plug all together. I put it back in and then went to JB. The S/4WD/ABS lights were constantly on.

It drove there and back fine but when i got home i investigated. All the fuses were fine, then i checked the ECU. I hadnt put the plug back 100% and the top part was not all the way pushed so i pushed it in and it took my issue away! :D

On another note, i have the same plug as humble

Well, the way i tested to see if it actually was a problem of if it was just the lights.....slammed the brakes on at 100 and voila, no ABS...i was pretty uh oh about it

:D:) hmmm not the easiest way to test for abs, but guess it works.... :D :lol: :P