SAU Community

R32 Speedo Cable Problems

Dahtone Racing

All i can say is SH*T... went to remove the speedo alert at the back of the cluster and must have snapped the plastic needle that went in2 the back of the speedo wen refitting. Notice speedo wasnt working then power steering so sounds like the same sh*t. guess i need to buy a new cable just cause of that... GREAT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u generally snap the plastic bit that goes into the back of the cluster because u dont line it up properly when u put the cluster back in or take it out an slightly the wrong angle!! its the dumbest thing invented i reckon...wtf do u need a spring loaded piece of plastic on ur frigging speedo cable!!

i changed mine...wat a bitch!! lets go find the dude who invested plastic speedo cables..HAHAHA

• 3 weeks later...

changed mine. wasnt to bad. mine went straight in. only thing i did wrong was do it when the engine was hot :S just made me work faster to get my hands away from the hot bits i think. lol

• 2 months later...
May be a dumb question but my mates speedo stopped working then about 10 mins later his power steering cut out and would stay off until the car was switched off, then it would work again for a little while.... Tonight my speedo stopped working then about 10 mins later my power steering did the same thing, is this a common thing too, or just a very weird coincidence?????

same problem with me,

do i have to replace the speedo instrument cluster as a whole or just the speedo cable?? how do i know if the speedo cable is gone and is the problem?

Remove the instrument cluster and look at the end of the cable, you should see a square drive pin sticking out. If not it will most likely be still stuck in the back of the cluster instead of being attached to the cable end. If it is there and isn't loose, move the car a few meters and you should see the pin turn, this is to ensure that the drive from the gearbox and the cable itself is all ok. bets are on cable end..

• 2 weeks later...