SAU Community

Finally Put My 32 On The Dyno

Fixxxer

Hey guys, hope to get a scanned pic of my dyno graph soon. Just wanted to tell you about it.

R32 Skyline, RB20det, filter, exhaust, FMIC, R33 turbo, blitz ecu/chip, Profec EBC, 12psi.

Made 229HP@wheels (173KW@wheels).... @ 0.83bar (little over 12psi), 30deg air temp and 60% humidity.

Makes full boost (12psi) at around 3500rpm (I think thats a little late) but the tuner said thats not unusual for the lil RB engine.

Anyways, like I suspected the car is running mega rich, once boost starts to build the AFR's drop down to 10.2:1, and even dips under 10:1 for about 1000-1500rpm (Dyno dynamics won't measure AFR's lower than 10) then back to 10.2:1 until redline. The guy said there is a fair bit of advance timing in it at the moment, and no pinging was heard.

I'm pretty happy with that power output so I think I'm going to just leave the thing silly rich and live with it..... I'm not sure the $500-600 for a SAFC would be worth the extra hassles?? Opinions???

Fixxxer :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well done i have on mine

:R33 ser II turbo

:GT-R fuel pump

:fmic

:3 in dump and front pipe

:3 3/4 in cat bak

:hks pod

made 212 hp @ the wheels on 13 psi

with retarded timming due to pinging

standard they run 15 deg timming but due to pinging its running 13 deg so yea still lots left in it once i sort it out

It really depends where you are as the majority of 'chippers' charge $800 odd for the initial.

SAFC can be picked up second hand around the place for $200 to $300. SAFC tune.. 1hr dyno time $140 or so worth.

It really depends where you are as the majority of 'chippers' charge $800 odd for the initial.

SAFC can be picked up second hand around the place for $200 to $300. SAFC tune.. 1hr dyno time $140 or so worth.

Bah.. $800 is way too dear. DR Drift qouted me $350 for the initial remap and $150 per hour for tuning (usually only 1 hour). But 173rwkw is pretty tidy so there's really no use in it. As cubes said go a secondhand SAFC Older models can be had for $150. Newer versions $250 up.

What is the extent of ur exhaust mods?

Edited by Drift_Limo

Hey guys, hope to get a scanned pic of my dyno graph soon. Just wanted to tell you about it.

R32 Skyline, RB20det, filter, exhaust, FMIC, R33 turbo, blitz ecu/chip, Profec EBC, 12psi.

Made 229HP@wheels (173KW@wheels).... @ 0.83bar (little over 12psi), 30deg air temp and 60% humidity.

Makes full boost (12psi) at around 3500rpm (I think thats a little late) but the tuner said thats not unusual for the lil RB engine.

Anyways, like I suspected the car is running mega rich, once boost starts to build the AFR's drop down to 10.2:1, and even dips under 10:1 for about 1000-1500rpm (Dyno dynamics won't measure AFR's lower than 10) then back to 10.2:1 until redline.  The guy said there is a fair bit of advance timing in it at the moment, and no pinging was heard.

I'm pretty happy with that power output so I think I'm going to just leave the thing silly rich and live with it..... I'm not sure the $500-600 for a SAFC would be worth the extra hassles?? Opinions???

Fixxxer :P

My 20 cents.....which would be worth more if I had a dyno graph (boost, torque, rwkw and A/F ratios) to look at...........

With A/F ratios ~10 to 1 you are using 20% more fuel than necessary. There is better fuel economy to be had from tuning the A/F ratios.

The usual gain from tuning the A/F ratios from the 10 to 1 to a more power friendly 12 to 1, is 10 to 15 rwkw. That sort of power increase will occur wherever the A/F ratios improve, so not just max power but average power will increase as well.

The Blitz ECU tune is obviously very consevative as far as fuel mapping is concerned, it would be very interesting to see exactly what they have done. Keepng in mind the tuners ignition timing comment, maybe that is all they touched and left the fuel mapping pretty much standard. Which explains the 10 to 1 A/F ratios which are what we see from a standard ECU on RB20's with similar mods.

My suggestion would be to get the ECU retuned and take the fuel economy and power advantages.

:P cheers :)

PS; I wouldn't be going over 12 psi with the standard R33 Turbo, even 12 psi is close to the edge.

Edited by Sydneykid

My exhaust mods are the usual full 3" all the way through.

The original owner says its got a blitz chip or whatever in it, I've never taken the time to look *shrug* I really don't care, so long as the car runs fine....

I don't know anything about how the car ran before versus after installation.

I'll probably keep it at 12psi as it is now..... I don't get up it much, or for extended times, just a hit through 2nd gear once every while.

I might look into a 2nd hand SAFC down the track.

Thanks for your opinions everyone :)

Fixxxer :)

Hey mate,

Thanks guys for the info on Blitz ECU.....

How was the dyno run setup?.....was the car down dynoed above sea level or at sea level....with all the setting on the dyno it can change alot to do with HP readings.

That amount of HP sounds extremely high for the mods done....we have a made running 1.1 bar of boost on HKS 2530 with injectors Power FC etc.....and it was tuned at Charlies Motors...these guys give true dyno figures and he got 170-180kw at the wheels.

Nice figure but no one can ever really trust there output...all it takes if for them to set it up with u being above sea level or what ever u go and u can grap and extra 30hp....

Not down with it all but know a little with the dyno stuff.

- Luke aka RB20DET_Silvia

The figures on the graph say

BP:101.3

RH:60

AT:30

IT:34

RR:015

TN:4.765

CK: 811

CF:SHOOT_6F

Tyrepressure:30

Gear: 4

He even said himself that it put out more than usual, but I guess he was just comparing that to a more standard r32. Th power curve is nice, smooth and linear, peak power at 6500rpm then drops away to around 210HP by 7500rpm. Still working on getting the graph scanned.

Fixxxer :(

DR DRIFT will be back up in Brisbane in a week if anyone with a 32, 34, 180, or 200 is interested....or if you want just a general power run. He still has a couple of spots left if anyone wants.

have a read of huddys post in ceffy section before spending money on a remap or make sure the person mapping your ecu is going to do some work not just remove the fuel cut and speed limiter

Dr Drift has been doing it for years.

He knows his stuff and he's a jap enthusiast, unlike the only SA ecu chipper who simply doesn't appear to give to sh*ts about jap cars these days. Its all V8's, black jeans and thongs for him. :rolleyes: