SAU Community

Steering Shake With New Rims

mxtcy

Hey people

I recently got a set of 19 x 8 inch rims on my R34. Now the tyres are 235/35/19 all round, and have an offset of +35 which is the same as stock. The wheels were balanced etc, but when they were put on it was discovered that a 2mm spacer was required for clearence of the front brakes due to the shape of the spokes and big ass R34 front brakes. I also put them on the rear just so all was even. I have now found that at speeds over 100kmph a get a shake in the wheel, sometimes it is only slight, other times it is pretty violent.

Do you think that becasue the wheels/tyres were balance for the +35 offset, that with the spacer bringing it down to +33 the balance is out of wack and is causing the shakes. Should i get them rebalanced and get the tyre place to attach the spacer to the machine when they balance them?

As a side note, i have not had a wheel alignment since i have had the new wheels put on, could this be causing the problem?

Any advice would be great.

Although I would definitely get the wheels aligned (to ensure the best possible handling and even tread wear) I can't see this being the primary source of your vibration. Particularly if the only thing that has changed are the wheels and there was no vibration with the old ones.

It sounds as if the problem lay in the wheel balance and/or the spacers potentially affecting the state of balance.

Although this may sound silly, have you checked the wheel nuts ..... is it possible that the wheel(s) are loose?

the car is also lowered around 3 inches but this was happening before the lowering.

I don't think it is the wheel nutz as this happened from the word go. As in i got the car back from the shop on saturday afternoon (lowered with the wheels refitted, and drove out to mallala on the sunday and it was doing it. So the wheels would of still been very tight then. Wheel nuts do come loose with spacers but this is usually when it is a 10mm spacer type thing. It is not overly common on a 2mm spacer

Thanks for your input though much appriciated

It's either a slightly bent spacer or the stick on weights have come off straight away. Couldn't possibly be the wheel itself or the tyre. Balancing without the spacer wouldn't matter because like you said you have a spacer on every wheel. I'd also suggest getting a wheel alignment straight away, because i'm sure you don't want to be buying fresh tyres just around the corner!!!!

Have them balanced on the car, which will take the rotating assembly including spacer in to account.

As others mentioned, wheel nuts would have been my first point to check.

Just as a side note, the spacers are not legal, which you may or may not know or care.

chops