SAU Community

R30 Ruff Running

mr30_2.4e

hi my skyline is running shit again i donno y when i plug the water temp senser in while its heated up it starts running 2 lean i think because it back fires through the air flow meter with it unpluged it runs better but with a grey sorta white colour coming out of the exorst..... also its started running ruff i bit on idel someone help it has been runing on gas does anyone know if theres any other mixure setings or if anyone has had this problem i would apreciate the help thanks :(

checking your timing also. Mostly it will be your water temp sensor. I chased around on the same problem for ages. Didnt think of it. Get another and it wil be sweet

have tested the water temp senser with another one and senser is working but as soon as its hot its runs to lean could it have anything to do with the idle mixture screw on the air flow meter i was thinking it could of been changed because of the gas set up also the ruber plug was missing... i was gunna go out and buy a co meter to tune it but i was wondering if there was another way of turning it???

anyone got any idears on fuel consumption???

cheers :)

try running some injector cleaner throught it....if its running fine while cold, then leaning out once warmed up, it could be cruddy injectors....once the cold start injector turns off its too lean.

the cold start in jector is only activated before start up wwhen u turn your key doesnt rung when car is running.

ok this is geting really frustrating.....

i got in the car thismorning (motor cold with temp senser connected) started idle well aprart from a slight misfirer racing a little cos it was cold then the idle came back to normal after a few moments. gave the engine a rev and it picked up nice and smooth. I then let it warm up to opperating temputure. Idle was still fine but as soon as i gave it a suden hit on the gas it coffs and spluters a bit and back fires out the throught the intake. Then i stoped the motor disconnected the water temp senser for the computer started the motor back up witch took more cranks then ussaul (usally starts straight up) once started had trouble keeping idel and amited a white/ grey smoke out the exorst. but seemed to rev alright and drove without hesitation...... i have tested my water temp senser with a multi meter and it seems to be working (got resistance/temp output from nissan manual) also tested another senser of my old skyline buy testing in diferent temp water but gave me same reading as the one in my car

??????????? anyone got any idears ?????????

here's an idea- take it to someone who knows what they are doing. troubleshooting an engine problem over the internet is more frustrating for us than you, believe me. every idea someone has come up with so far you've disregarded without even checking. so take it to someone, or go right back to square one and start with the basics. inspect/clean connectors, check timing (not just at idle), check voltage to coil, check fuel pressure and flow rates, check the lines to the FPR, maybe even try replacing it, do a comp test (it could be a valve problem), check valve clearances too, check all sensors - you say you have a nissan workshop manual - they typically have quite detaillled troubleshooting information as well. if all else fails, maybe try starting another thread about it!

Edited by hrd-hr30

Ok. still sounds like what i used to have. And i regret to tel ya, it could be the ecu. I had to replace mine. Fixed alot of problems. But first. Clean all your contact points on the loom plugs. L motors commonly corrode up over time.

Clean the ecu plugs. Unplug your TPS. And o2 sensor. The mixture sceew on the AFM is only for idle mixtures. Its a bypass unit. So leans it out. Doesnt alot much adjustment. All is bypassed when the afm moves

Intresting how it seems to be stated that the Water temp sensor only used for cold starting. When mine will adjust all the a/f Ratio's when warm. And the car will not run with it disconected.

The fuel pump will also cause similar problem. HAhah i know ive had them all. im on my 4th fuel pump. Check the voltage going to it first. And go from there. The fuel pump comander units can become faulty also and not flick out of idle voltage mode. This means it wont step up the voltage to the Fuel pump when you stomp the gas. I actaully think it runs off the Tps system. Dont quote me on that tho

Ok. still sounds like what i used to have. And i regret to tel ya, it could be the ecu. I had to replace mine. Fixed alot of problems. But first. Clean all your contact points on the loom plugs. L motors commonly corrode up over time.

Clean the ecu plugs. Unplug your TPS. And o2 sensor. The mixture sceew on the AFM is only for idle mixtures. Its a bypass unit. So leans it out. Doesnt alot much adjustment. All is bypassed when the afm moves

Intresting how it seems to be stated that the Water temp sensor only used for cold starting. When mine will adjust all the a/f Ratio's when warm. And the car will not run with it disconected.

The fuel pump will also cause similar problem. HAhah i know ive had them all. im on my 4th fuel pump. Check the voltage going to it first. And go from there. The fuel pump comander units can become faulty also and not flick out of idle voltage mode. This means it wont step up the voltage to the Fuel pump when you stomp the gas. I actaully think it runs off the Tps system. Dont quote me on that tho

Thanks for your help i really hope its not the ecu water has been getting in nere it but i was sure it wasnting coming nere the computer but it was sitting outside the house when i bout it.... where is the o2 sencer on the l24e?

Thanks for your help i really hope its not the ecu water has been getting in nere (near) it but i was sure it wasnting (?) coming nere (near) the computer but it was sitting outside the house when i bout (bought?) it.... where is the o2 sencer (sensor) on the l24e?

Please learn to spell!

To the best of my knowledge, the L24E didn't run an O2 sensor (L20ET did, though)

Please learn to spell!

To the best of my knowledge, the L24E didn't run an O2 sensor (L20ET did, though)

lol sorry man

ok i unpluged the 35 pin efi harness and i tested air flow meter potentiometer sliding resistor and circuit coming to the computer but i am geting no connection untill i push the flap abit inside the hair flow meter then it goes open circuit i dont think thats spose to do that anyone know anything about that??? :D

o and when the i put the key to start with start motor disconnected im only geting 8v in the circuit between ignition switch and control unit power sourse shouldnt i get my battry voltage?? (wich is 13 volts)

heatercoil of thermotime switch bimetal circuit has no risistance at all but a full connection does that sound wright??

also im not geting circuit between air regulator and fuel pump??

does anyone know if a 82 model r30 skyline are the same machenically 2 the 85 model as i have an 82 model as well and was wonding apart from looks could i use engine parts such as ecu and such?? or are they differ :D

Edited by mr30_2.4e