SAU Community

Few Quick Traffic Infringement Questions?

Burns

If you elect to contend a traffic infringement then reconsider and decide it is not worth contending a couple of weeks later can you withdraw your intention to contend, accept and pay the penalty as per the infringement notice and avoid having to go to court?

If you receive an on the spot fine and are given a scrappy Infringement notice on the side of the road should you also get sent a reminder notice in the mail as the payment date gets close?

Thanks

first question: i would say yes, however im not sure how you would go about it, im guessing it would say somewhere on the forms or ring the court or cop station.

second question: i feel no, as you are to pay it, and out of the goodness of their hearts(!!) (the government(?!) they give you a time period to pay it in, its your choice whether you pay now or later, and if you dont, they send you another fine and get more money...

i got a fine in the mail on tuesday for getting done by a camera, i have until the 21st of feb to sign the stat dec and then they will send out the bill quick smart!

Burns it is an often used method to avoid losing a license if your points are low and you almost have some back. You can elect to go to court, then change your mind and pay a small fee in addition to the fine.

sarah, have I met you? You're a long time member but not a big poster. Come along to the barbie tomorrow and say hi.

If you elect to contend a traffic infringement then reconsider and decide it is not worth contending a couple of weeks later can you withdraw your intention to contend, accept and pay the penalty as per the infringement notice and avoid having to go to court?

If you receive an on the spot fine and are given a scrappy Infringement notice on the side of the road should you also get sent a reminder notice in the mail as the payment date gets close?

For the first query, suggest you get in touch with Civil Compliance on 9200 8222 to find out the exact procedure. There'll probably be an administrative fee (as always....) but I'm sure they'll appreciate you saving the court's time :)

As to the second....they don't send out reminders AFAIC. You either pay it within the given time or they assume your going to contest.

They don't usually issue another notice in the mail until the payment date has passed, and then they'll send you a reminder notice with a late fee added. Of course you can ring civic compliance at any time and ask them to send you a reprint and/or extension to pay. You can also ask about withdrawing a court application with no hassles.

Also just fyi, they don't allow installment payments, however if you use bpay you can pay in $10/20 amounts and they just send you a letter saying they don't accept part payment, please pay the rest of the money.. and you end up getting another 10-14 days to pay from the date of the letter. It's easy to drag out a fine for 3-6months. :)

Unless they changed it sometime last year anyway.

I just recently worked out that ANZ takes part bpay payments for rego too ;)

And the funny thing with that, is I got a letter saying if I don't pay the rest within 28 days my rego *will* be suspended as per section of blah law. Even though it ran out in November? (cars been off road).. so does that mean my rego is valid even though I haven't paid it all!?

lol I'm glad I don't have to get a RW.

Nah I'll show you the letter on the w/end.. I meant that I only paid $100 of my rego and the letter seems to suggest I can drive the car as long as I pay the rest in 28 days... Otherwise the car 'cannot be driven' and may 'incur fines' etc. ;)

Unless I just misinterpreted you caus I'm rushing so I can go pick up my sparkling injectors :)

PS your welding is like GOLD and GEC was like something I would do! (THANKYOU!)

Edited by Kaz180

yeah they do.. if you ring them up and ask em they will apply to have a 'payment plan' setup.. i owe about $600 in parking/speeding etc etc fines..so i organised a plan and now im only paying em $50/month :)

You can do it for anything which ends up at the Perin court... which I believe are most fines..

Also just fyi, they don't allow installment payments, however if you use bpay you can pay in $10/20 amounts and they just send you a letter saying they don't accept part payment, please pay the rest of the money.. and you end up getting another 10-14 days to pay from the date of the letter. It's easy to drag out a fine for 3-6months. ;)

Yeah it is awesome ;

Contend the fine. If it is not processed through court in some time perioid (6 or 12 months, can't remember), then it is dismissed. If it is dealt with;

You can plead guilty, and pay the fine + court costs, complete waste of everyones' time.

Or plead innnocent, found guilty; pay fine +court costs

Or plead innocent, succesfully contest and have the infringement revoked.

what would these court cost be approxamatly.?

and i got a fine a while ago. just noticed that the cop wrote the wrong expiary date (said it expired in 03) for my licence details. anyone been in this position? if so do tell.?