SAU Community

Importing A Car Question

lows_13

having imported a number of cars my self i can tell you i have been granted expemtions to import cars pre charged with R12. yes that's right. R12. i'm not sure if you can get a licence to import equipment containing R12 (i think you cant), but you can get 1 off exemptions for R12. 1 per licencing period.

Hi Richard,

I really hate to contradict you ;) but I can tell you 100% positive that R12 gas is an illegal substance and has been since 1996 and no exemptions will be granted from DEH.

This can be confirmed by phoning Jo-Anne Beath who is the team leader of the relevant department at DEH. Her direct number is 02 6274 1603.

Cheers

Jo

Sending it to NZ would be far quicker than sending it back to Japan i guess.

'both the receiver accumulator and the recharge ports must also be removed'

These are located on the car i assume?

Of course, they are a part of the Air Cond. system.

To put your mind at ease & to be crystal clear on the requirments covering of R12 I recommend you phone Jo-Anne Beath - her direct number is 02 6274 1603.

Cheers

Jo

Series 1 R32's (pre Aug 1991) have R12, Series 2 R32's have R134A

Also, lows_13 I don't know what this import yard is up to. Here's some things to remember:

R12 gas can be disposed of by certified refrigerant handlers (who else would do it when you sign that doc that says "oops? won't happen again") who won't let the gas into the atmosphere but dispose of it properly.

R12 gas can't be degassed on australian soil, however, bond areas in various places around australia (including ports where cars land and are held in customs) are NOT considered australian soil (go figure). So all they had to do is send a certified air con guy to the bond area where they're held to degas it.

Exporting a car to NZ to have it degassed is the biggest load of crock I have ever heard. Either:

1. the import yard has NO clue what they are doing.

2. they are giving some limp wristed excuse to cover up delays in the car, or are formulating an excuse to bump up the price of the car.

Either way I'd be sceptical about handing over money to them if they gave me a story like that. I'm sure their car is great, but that's not how you do business.

Exporting a car to NZ to have it degassed is the biggest load of crock I have ever heard. Either:

2. they are giving some limp wristed excuse to cover up delays in the car, or are formulating an excuse to bump up the price of the car.

Either way I'd be sceptical about handing over money to them if they gave me a story like that. I'm sure their car is great, but that's not how you do business.

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason to export the car to New Zealand. Something is amiss here!

You can make an undertaking with DEH to have the gas discharged and a retro air con system fitted by a licence holder in Australia. This is not an exemption - it is an undertaking and you have 21 days in which to fulfil the undertaking agreement. You need to organise this through DEH

Cheers

Jo

Edited by Jade

lol how many times are you gonna mention that name and number in a thread?

Umm, as many times as it takes to sink in :dry: so this poor guy can hopefully stop his car from being shipped to New Zealand.

By the way, Jo-Anne Beath & I are not the same person.

Cheers

Jo

Dude had plenty of time to figure out what was going on, thanks to all the posters on the first page. I even directed him to the DEH.

I thought it was doing it himself - but if he's using an import yard they should know all the procedures by now, and like you I don't know why they'd re-export the car. Sounds like a case of serious incompetence at the least here.

When making a quarantine entry the importer is required to answer questions about the refrigerant inside the car. How this important detail wasn't picked up earlier is pretty bad on their behalf.

Series 1 R32's (pre Aug 1991) have R12, Series 2 R32's have R134A

Also, lows_13 I don't know what this import yard is up to. Here's some things to remember:

R12 gas can be disposed of by certified refrigerant handlers (who else would do it when you sign that doc that says "oops? won't happen again") who won't let the gas into the atmosphere but dispose of it properly.

R12 gas can't be degassed on australian soil, however, bond areas in various places around australia (including ports where cars land and are held in customs) are NOT considered australian soil (go figure). So all they had to do is send a certified air con guy to the bond area where they're held to degas it.

Exactly what I told him - I've put Low S13 in contact with a guy who can de-gas aircons in the bond area in Adelaide, and yet the importer is still stuffing around. I suspect there's something else going on, like a stuff up on the import approval or something, but we shall see.

BTW - I read Jo-Anne's surname as BREATH, which is kinda sexy. Is she hot Jade? Do you have her number? lol

BTW - I read Jo-Anne's surname as BREATH, which is kinda sexy. Is she hot Jade? Do you have her number? lol

BREATH would be quite funny considering she is the senior Policy Officer of the Government Environment Protection Division that is responsible for Ozone and Synthetic Gas :P

Can't help you in the looks department though, I've never met her.

Surely the number has sunk in by now LOL

Cheers

• 2 months later...