SAU Community

R34 Aftermarket Hid Problem

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket HID kit to an R34?

I have, and they work brilliantly - in fact way too brilliantly. People everywhere flash their lights at me as they think I have my high beams on. I have adjusted them right down toward the road, but it makes no difference. I can see the limits of the light pattern on the road about 20m in front of the car, but when you look from a distance the headlights are still very bright.

I am wondering if you need to remove the little inverted mushroom type reflector inside the headlight?

fyi I have 6,000k kit, and non-Xenon headlights.

Anyone else have this problem?

thanks for your help mate .... but like I said I have adjusted them to shine on a wall at even a lower height than the wife's Accord Euro, and you can see the clear definition of the lights on the road, but are still amazingly bright to look at, even though the beam is directed low.

While I have your attention, where did you mount the temp sensor probe on your trans?

Also, have you (or anyone with an R34) ever wanted leather seat covers? There is a guy from Melb who does cheap (but reasonable quality) leather seat covers, and needs an R34 to make a template from. I really want to get covers from him, but don't want to strip my covers off and send to Melb for him to make a template (due to postage time etc issues). Anyone want to be the guinea pig to make a template from? I'd prefer a 4 door of course, but even the front seats of a 2 door would do at this stage. Do you ever go to Melb Bob?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEATHER-SEAT-R32-R3...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Nightcrawler

I cut one of the hoses going to the trans cooler and put in there a brass device that pritek made for me on the spot.

Basically I went in there with a bit of the hose to get the inside diameter and the temp sensor.

I ended up with an T shaped thing that has an inlet and outlet for the hose and another hole which you screw the temp sensor into. Works a treat.

I looked at those covers. I don't like them.

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket HID kit to an R34?

I have, and they work brilliantly - in fact way too brilliantly. People everywhere flash their lights at me as they think I have my high beams on. I have adjusted them right down toward the road, but it makes no difference. I can see the limits of the light pattern on the road about 20m in front of the car, but when you look from a distance the headlights are still very bright.

I am wondering if you need to remove the little inverted mushroom type reflector inside the headlight?

fyi I have 6,000k kit, and non-Xenon headlights.

Anyone else have this problem?

I know someone with aftermarket HIDs on this forum on their R34 as well and they are way too bright compared to the standard xenons. Not much you can do about them as that is probably the main reason they are illegal. Just make sure you don't drive behind or towards a cop at night. :D

6000k is still legal isnt it?

Or is it illegal because its an aftermarket upgrade?

All HIDs are illegal as far as I'm aware unless they are ADR approved. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Even the standard xenons on our 34s are illegal!

ya i also have HID's in non-xenon headlights,, reason they r so bright is coz the Halogen (non xenon) headlights have a much larger reflector ,, and therefore more glare,,

There are "glare shields" u can DIY,, from the net, (saw it in google ages ago) but i don't know how good they are,, and they are mainly for the honda's which use H4 bulbs

here is one for a hummer

http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/HID/Micro-lite/

so if u manage to figure out how to make a glare shield for the r34,, to suit H1 bulbs,,,LET ME KNOW , :P

other then that,, ya just point em down as much as u can,,

ya i also have HID's in non-xenon headlights,, reason they r so bright is coz the Halogen (non xenon) headlights have a much larger reflector ,, and therefore more glare,,

There are "glare shields" u can DIY,, from the net, (saw it in google ages ago) but i don't know how good they are,, and they are mainly for the honda's which use H4 bulbs

here is one for a hummer

http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/HID/Micro-lite/

so if u manage to figure out how to make a glare shield for the r34,, to suit H1 bulbs,,,LET ME KNOW , :P

other then that,, ya just point em down as much as u can,,

Heh, afro! You knew I was talking about u :)

i looked into this for xenons to be leagal you need

1 automatocally ajusting headlights, so when you put a trailer on or people in the back the lights tilt down

2 headlight washer, you can install this your self

3 xenon type reflectors

the reasons that R34's cant have xenons are the headlights are not auto ajusting ones ( they are manual from a swich inside) and there is no washer for them

Edited by AgentR31

thanks for your help mate .... but like I said I have adjusted them to shine on a wall at even a lower height than the wife's Accord Euro, and you can see the clear definition of the lights on the road, but are still amazingly bright to look at, even though the beam is directed low.

While I have your attention, where did you mount the temp sensor probe on your trans?

Also, have you (or anyone with an R34) ever wanted leather seat covers? There is a guy from Melb who does cheap (but reasonable quality) leather seat covers, and needs an R34 to make a template from. I really want to get covers from him, but don't want to strip my covers off and send to Melb for him to make a template (due to postage time etc issues). Anyone want to be the guinea pig to make a template from? I'd prefer a 4 door of course, but even the front seats of a 2 door would do at this stage. Do you ever go to Melb Bob?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEATHER-SEAT-R32-R3...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey,

I have also seen these covers on ebay but look somewhat cheap. I would be hessitant unless I saw a few real examples. Interesting to see if they hold their form/ compsoure after a few months of usage.

Novel idea for the kiddies ;-)

well, the cheapest decent reupholsterer here in Adelaide quoted me $5,000 to $6,000 for leather seats in my 34. So, for $600 I don't think you can go wrong (there is no way in hell I am paying $5k+ just for leather seats).

Even if you have to pay $200 to re-do the drivers seat every few years, it is a a bargain.

Yes, the quality doesn't look fantastic, but looks good enough for $600 for full car, I reckon. The fact that he welcomes inspection at his factory is reassuring - it can't be complete shite.

So the options are try this, or go without.

FYI the guy told me $400 for just the fronts. Not much to punt really - given the possible upside. I absolutely love leather seats! The fact that the covers are vinly-backed means nothing to me - I have sat in tons of full leather, and vinly-backed lounge suites, and can't tell the difference.

• 1 month later...

Did you get the right bulbs?

BULB SELECTION

HID bulbs come in two common standards today known as: D2S and D2R. D2S uses the D2 base and a clear, naked bulb. D2R uses the same D2 base and a bulb with a metallic strip along one edge to combat unwanted glare in the reflector headlamp. So in OEM HID applications D2R is used in reflector-type HID assemblies whereas D2S is used in projector-type assemblies. When you're purchasing an HID kit, you want to go with a D2S bulb because it emits slightly more light than the D2R.

no idea, they are just H1 as far as I know. They worked perfect in my S15 (which is a projector setup), but the internal reflector setup of the R34 emits too much light. I have angled them right down and they seem like they will be ok.