SAU Community

Modification/vehicles Standards Laws!

i want a skyline

Hi guys.

I'm going for my provisional licence tomorrow (on my 17th birthday) and I've been saving hardcore since I was 14 for a Skyline.

Now the time has finally arrived, and I'm looking at a few. According to the RTA website (apart from turbos etc), "engine modifications requiring an engineer's certificate" are illegal.

Well a car I have been looking at has an exhaust system. Apart from that and a short shift kit, it's fairly stock (R32 GTS). Now the exhaust system - is that considered an engine modification or what? Their Vehicle Standards 06 sheet (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf)...makes things confusing! I'm presuming a short shift kit is legal as it says (under owner-certified modifications) that

fitting a "package" available as optional equipment for the vehicle (eg front disc brakes, power steering, alternative transmission and bucket or bench seats)

As for the exhaust? Who knows...Can ANYONE clear this up for me?

As a side note, I tried ringing the RTA who referred me to their technical line. When she gave me the number, the chick on the phone says "but they are very understaffed so you might not be able to get through to them today"! So I tried ringing them, and the phone just rings out, you aren't placed in a queue or anything. :D

How very unlucky for you.. (not being allowed turbo)

You should be fine..

If its not v8 or turbo your allowed to drive it.. and exhast system wont do shit.. exhast is not a engine mod

Now the time has finally arrived, and I'm looking at a few. According to the RTA website (apart from turbos etc), "engine modifications requiring an engineer's certificate" are illegal.

is this part of the new laws for p plater's? really can't have much fun can you?

as long as the exhaust isn't too loud (>89~91dB @ 3000 rpm or something along those lines) and doesn't emit too many emissions you'll be fine.

meaning: as long as it's legal, it's legal.

make sense?

I hear what your saying ...

NSW government arent fun sometimes ... As for the car ... If it says that its legal then basically its legal like DJ984 said.

As for turbo and mods ... Patience is a virtue when it comes to P plate. Sit it out and do the mods in finaly year of P's (Yr2 of Green). But thats just a suggestion ...

Good luck with your test tomorrow. :D Mines in three months. Do everything by the book and you'll pass. (not alot of fun basically <_< )

(( As side note ... If you want mods done to the oldies standard {way better then waht we do these days} go talk to the previous generation of rev heads ))

is this part of the new laws for p plater's? really can't have much fun can you?

as long as the exhaust isn't too loud (>89~91dB @ 3000 rpm or something along those lines) and doesn't emit too many emissions you'll be fine.

meaning: as long as it's legal, it's legal.

make sense?

Actually id maybe keep it abit lower..

my couzin a cop and i have asked him many question about whats legal and not..

he said it doesnt matter how loud or not it is.. if a cop doesnt like it he will book you.. same with music up too loud.. and you cant argue with them

I hear what your saying ...

NSW government arent fun sometimes ... As for the car ... If it says that its legal then basically its legal like DJ984 said.

As for turbo and mods ... Patience is a virtue when it comes to P plate. Sit it out and do the mods in finaly year of P's (Yr2 of Green). But thats just a suggestion ...

Good luck with your test tomorrow. :P Mines in three months. Do everything by the book and you'll pass. (not alot of fun basically <_< )

(( As side note ... If you want mods done to the oldies standard {way better then waht we do these days} go talk to the previous generation of rev heads ))

Green p's arent allowed turbo or engine mods either if your on the new system.. soz guys.. guess you will have to wait another 3 years..

I'm in the same boat..

6 days until my P's.

My R33 has a 4" tip and a really deep sound, it's quite loud, can definately be heard.. Not too ricy though. -_-

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens with the exhaust. My neighbour is a cop and said he thinks i will get harassed about it. :<

Huh, difficult situation. One think but, if you don't like the answer, don't ask the question. All these laws are a little bit unfair. Lucky I got in love with my line in ... second stage of my life. Funny is once all become legal, no more P's and can drive the car, they loose the interes. So was with my son.....shame!!!!!!!

EUG.

Exhaust = affects noise and emissions = must continue to comply with all applicable ADRs.

This is achieved through engineering certificate test for compliance with ADR noise limits and emissions (per IM240 emissions test available from RTA testing centres in Botany or Penrith).

Short shift kit is not really considered as an owner certified modification as it wasn't a factory option.

I guess you could argue Nismo = Nissan performance accessories = available, however who would pull you up for a short shift kit?

man anything u do to your car that isnt STANDARD which means anything is classified as modified. It just depends what cop u get.

Also if you read thru the pink slip book it contradicts the blue slip guidlines and vise versa it has a really hazy area so it really is up to u.

Lol... it's not illegal if the exhaust doesn't go all the way through ( Just what i've heard ) heh I had two cops go over my car and say everything was standard even the exhaust ( no arguments from me there haha ).. Mine is 3/4 way through 4 inch tip 2 and a quarter piping.. I'm not sure how loud it really is.. as I've never had my dad drive it yet past me.. But.. driving around it's pretty deep haha and I guess it shows... I'm like a magnet for police lol Red P's and skyline.. (gts tho) Can't wait to see how much worse it gets when i get new wheels..

Edited by ignuz

Man am I glad I got my P's b4 the new restriction's came in :domokun:...

Congrats on getting your P's & good luck with the skyline. I hope you don't drive around like a d$ckhead, we P platers already have a negative image as it is.

my suggestion? just as long as the exhaust tip isn't as big as a milo can & doesn't wiggle around too much it shouldn't attract any attention from the police.

P.S i just got my greens last week, easiest test ever. Makes me wonder why I didn't go for them as soon as I had my red's for 12 months :D

If you have a look at the part of the FAQ you quoted, it refers to the requirements under Vehicle Standards Index 06.

Now, what does VSI 06 say about owner certified engine modifications (i.e. ones that don't require an engineering signatory)?

engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the

vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission

ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,

oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate

correctly)

So, is the standard equipment exhaust system relating to noise and emission control retained in your car, or is the exhaust on the car a Nissan option? I'm failing to see the ambiguity.

On an extremely long shot, unless its a Nismo exhaust then any non-Nissan exhaust is out. Apparently most of the Nismo catalog is sold as options in Japan, where the car was technically sold. You just tick the boxes on the purchase form. At that point it becomes an optional OEM package.

Aside from changing the consumables (oil, spark plugs, etc) I can't see anything an enthusiast considers a "modification" being owner certifiable. ECU, cams, exhaust, cats, etc all affect noise and emissions controls compared to stock. Even if it makes your car quieter and less polluting, its no longer using the standard equipment and so needs to be certified.