SAU Community

R34 Models

aridyne

Hi,

I am keen on getting a R34 either GT-X or GT-V. My concern is that I have been told that the GT-X FOUR is not avialable to import due to the power to weight ratio as it is a 4WD rather then RWD. I thought with a 4WD being a safer option that it would be. Can anyone please let me know what R34 Models can be imported into Australia.

I know there is a few models:

GT (2DR and 4DR) RWD

GT-T (2DR and 4DR) RWD

GT-X (2DR and 4DR) RWD

GT-X FOUR (2DR and 4DR) 4WD

GT-V (2DR and 4DR) RWD

GT-R (2DR Only) 4WD

Are these correct and can any of these be imported?

Thanks heaps for any assistance.

Cheers

Aridyne

Yeah I am really keen on a 4 Door GT-X or GT-V, but really the GT-X FOUR would be ideal as its 4WD. I don't understand why they wouldn't allow the GT-X Four in as its the same power and a GT-V or GT. It has better options as far as I can see and is 4WD.

its all about power to weight ratio. with the 4wd system is probably too heavy to import.

the GT-V is exactly the same as the turbo model with bigger brakes etc but is just naturally aspirated....

Paraphrased from RCVS:

- Only vehicles with the features listed below satisfy this entry: RB25DE, RB25DET, RB26DETT

- The RB20DE cannot be imported as it fails the performance requirement.

Ergo, if the variant has one of the approved engines you can import it.

Paraphrased from RCVS:

- Only vehicles with the features listed below satisfy this entry: RB25DE, RB25DET, RB26DETT

- The RB20DE cannot be imported as it fails the performance requirement.

Ergo, if the variant has one of the approved engines you can import it.

The GT-X Four is a RB25DE same engine as GT and GT-V and GT-X. So its not an engine thing for sure..

Someone please say yes to the GT-X FOUR.. I need a family car for the missues that I can play with when not driving my R33. :O

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/030-00.htm

That's where I got it from.

Clarify it with a RAWS if you want a definitive answer.

//edit: I do believe that all of the non-turbo four door R34s are ineligible as they fail the power/weight criteria.. which is why you can import something like a GT-V (as they are a two door)

//edit: I do believe that all of the non-turbo four door R34s are ineligible as they fail the power/weight criteria.. which is why you can import something like a GT-V (as they are a two door)

Where is the power to weight criteria? I can not seem to find this. I have emailed DOT so I expect an answer soon me hopes.. :drag:

In that link I posted it clearly assesses the four criteria necessary for a car to be eligible for importation under SEVS.

As I said, contact a RAWS. They will give you a definitive answer. They're the ones who will end up doing the paperwork for it anyway.

In that link I posted it clearly assesses the four criteria necessary for a car to be eligible for importation under SEVS.

As I said, contact a RAWS. They will give you a definitive answer. They're the ones who will end up doing the paperwork for it anyway.

I contacted RAWS whom just showed me the same form that you guys pointed me to so. They just said all R34's are ok as long as it doesn't have the RB20DE, and the form states the 25GT-X Four and 25GT Four are okay. The power to weight criteria also seems to be met with the RB25DE being 105kw/tonne

Now its a matter of getting one and stuff like insurance I think. Being that it's a rare style of the R34 will compliance be different as well?

Hope they don't tell my customer with his NA r34 sedan which is currently getting complied then :D

Not sure on the AWD models - but if it's not specifically listed on the RAWS website as being ineligible, then you can assume it's eligible. Either way, you might want to seek clarification from DoTaRS.

Just double checked - the AWD variants are listed in the original application, so yes they are eligible.

Edited by vrfour

Hope they don't tell my customer with his NA r34 sedan which is currently getting complied then :(

Not sure on the AWD models - but if it's not specifically listed on the RAWS website as being ineligible, then you can assume it's eligible. Either way, you might want to seek clarification from DoTaRS.

Just double checked - the AWD variants are listed in the original application, so yes they are eligible.

Haha that's why I said I think.. lol this rabbit is funny! :D