SAU Community

R32 speaker sizes?

WazR32GTSt

Guest crackity

yeah boost

i compeletly removed the plastic pods (4x6??)

really small shitty speaker size. i fit round 6.5" speakers in. you have more depth than you will ever need

• 11 months later...

It's been a year and I finally got around to replacing the front speakers in my R32.. I bought some 6.5" splits and went to fit them tonight and there is no way in h*ll they are going to fit behind the factory grilles.

Initially I thought they would fit but when I checked the window mechanism it would have hit the speaker magnet. If I pull the speaker out a bit the surround will hit the edge of the grille. They need about 8mm more distance between the window and the door trim to fit.

I think my only option is to modify the factory doortrim to clear the speaker surround.

If I've got to do a custom buildout maybe I should go nuts and put in a pair of 8" midbass drivers I already have instead of the 6.5"s.

Has anyone here done custom door buildouts on aR32 before? Pics?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i'm runnign a nakamichi 1000W 12" sub in the boot, alpine 200W 6.5" splits int he front (with spacers) both powered by a 4x200W Rockford Fosgate Amp, and a pair of JVC 6.5" in the rear running off the headunit for rear fill in. Had to put the fronts in with MDF spacers, the rest just bolted straight in.

Amp n subbie sit in the boot courtesy of a custom install/box.

Oh and there's an Esotoric Audio USA 1/2 Farhad capacitor just b4 the amp as well.

HI,

Just about your front splits.. are they the full blue 6.5inch (look like mini subs)?

Because i bought then for my previous car, and was thinking whether they fit into the R32 front doors...?

thanx,

And how exactly did you install them?

Cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

hey

i recently did a custom job and installed 6*9's in the front doors....had to get rid of the factory grill and cut out the door trims a bit. Also needed some plastic speaker spaces so the magnet wouldn't hit the window too. there are a few rattles, but once i get rid of those, it should sound excellent...doesn't take long once u know hwat you're doing too. Took me 3 hours for the left door and 30 minutes for the right one....

• 5 weeks later...

I am getting some 6" speakers for my R32. It would be good to see what the spacers look like for the front doors (ie. pic's please).

At the moment I have no idea how i am going to fit them, and since I dont have them yet it just makes it that much harder to see how it will work.

If you want to keep the factory grilles you will need to chose your speakers carefully.

Boston and Eclipse both make pretty decent 4" x 6" coaxials that will screw into the factory pods with little or no modification.

Most 5.25" speakers can be fitted to the factory pods with a 3mm mdf spacer/filler plate.

Anything larger will probably need a custom baffle to replace the plastic pod.

Some 6"- 6.5" speakers can fit but some need to be spaced out so far to clear the window/winder mechanism that the doortrim won't go back on.

The top of the speaker can't be spaced out much at all because the top of the factory grille almost touches the inner door skin at that point so you will probably need to mount the speaker at a bit of an angle to get enough clearance behind.

It just depends on what sort of sound you are after vs how good you are with tools.

I'd recommend taking the doortrim off and taking the plastic pod with you when you go to buy speakers. The rain shroud on the back of the pod is a good indication of how much clearance you have inside the door as it uses nearly all the available space.

The other important thing to watch is making sure you have enough clearance in front of the surround when the speaker is operating as there is not much room behind the top of the grille.

Well my 6" speakers dont fit in the origonal molding. So I am just cutting up some MDF and will repalce the plastic moding.

By the way it looks I will have heaps of room. I havent finished them yet but sould be done & installed by the weekend.

reecey There may not be as much usable space as there appears.

Before you start make sure you lower the window while watching where the speaker magnet goes.

In particular watch the quadrant rack part of the winder mechanism as it intrudes into the speaker area. Also watch the stop on the lower window channel as it passes the back of the magnet.

Make sure the doortrim doesn't touch the surround as there's not a lot of front clearance at the top of the speaker.

Good luck with it.