SAU Community

Help With Ecu Upgrade

Hey,

As the title suggests, I'm after some help with upgrading my computer.

I've got a 20det with the basic to mild mods and I want to know why and what you would recommend.

Basically I'm tossing up between the Apexi power fc and a microtech. As far as I understand, there both pretty well much the same (except for the afm), Leaning more towards the Apexi??

Your response would be great, as Im looking to do this next week.

Many thanks in advance :)

no need for either, remap the standard one.

cheap and easy and good gains to had.

plus youll retain the factory operation and loom.

if your in melbourne speak to dr drift.

a powerfc will set you back 1400 for the rb20 as its an ap engineering model

dr drift

www.dr-drift.com

9 alick rd

brooklyn

have a chat to him, this man could remap a lawn mower and get it to make more power. no need for powerfc unless you really really want one and its hand controller, he could get the same power + tune state out of the stock rb20 ecu.

remap = $300

if u want it dyno tuned = $350

and if something is wrong another $300+

so you pay almost $700 for a ecu remap that you cant sell for $50

or a pfc for $1200ish

and u can selling it for $900

and all the other facts... pfc does much more, will give you more power, more ppl tune it, etc etc

what happens if ur tuner who has remapped the ecu closes business.. or is busy, or not in town/???

trust me! AP PFC

i wasted over $700 on ecu remapping and dyno time and the car was running like shit!!

and the tuner is suppose to be the best in the business

i cut my loses, got a real ECU

i concour with silver gts-t sounds like very simular experience

bad experiences with remaps

not much power gain for the money spent

locked into the one tunner

Remap i gain 5-10rwkw all up with all the dramas approx $1.1k

i gained 33rwkw with the wolf3d cost $2000 all up fully tunned drive away

now 20rwkw+ for $900 is a good gain to me

Edited by EVL032

There are good and bad points about both...

I have had 2 cars remapped.

Case no 1. RB20DET cefiro with usual mods. gained 26rwkw throughout most of the useable power range. Remap cost me $250 + $120 for the dyno time... so $370 all up....

Case no 2. Auto car with bigger turbo (no power fc made for the car) did'nt want to spend $2000 for an ECU. Gained approx 20rwkw, removed speed cut, removed TP limit, better fuel economy... Cost. $100 for an eprom burner, $25 for a UV eraser...

I did all the tuning myself and have learned a lot in the process...

I can offer the following advice. If you are going to get a rempa get EVERYTHING you want to mode done BEFORE the remap. and if you have a good tuner and don't plan on modding the car further it is an excellent option.

If you are going to continue to mod the car and want a flexible system get the power FC... But be prepared to pay $1700 before have it back on the road...

With a good EPROM tuner you will get excellent power from the standard ECU. There is neumorous GTR'S running 1000rwhp running the standard remapped ECU in japan. they have been doing it there for 15 years and have it down to a fine art.

Hope this helps :D

Agreed CEF11E...

I had mine done by Dr Drift and gained close to 30 rwkw.

If you get it done get it done by some1 who knows what theyre doin.

You can get very close to the gains of a Power FC yet you cant get the flexiility..... Your choice at the end of the day.

I emailed dr-drift regarding a few things and one was a remap.

he asked what mods i'd have when the ecu is to be done.

i told him and he said he has a few generic chips for certain mods.

my one was for rb20 engine, rb25 turbo, 14psi, FMIC, exhaust, filter, fuel pump.

stock injectors, fuel pressure and afm.

he said can be done for about $400 (he will send me the ECU) and when he is up in Brisbane next, he will meet up and fine tune it for me if required.

Now that is all I want out of this car in terms of power so that is a good deal.

I will probably change the car before I go any further with mods..

if you plan on going all out later on, then might as well get PFC or other full management system.

• 3 weeks later...

yeh at the end of the day they do the same thing just get a good tune on either and ur away

if ur gona be changing setup lean towards the pfc, if ur keeping it pretty much same setup definately the ecu remap