SAU Community

Gearbox Question For Rb20det

ok guys im sure this questions been asked before, but i did a search and come up with nothing so ill ask n e way :)

im thinking of getting a 32 with a rb20det. but its auto.

ive been quoted by a friend whos also a mechanic, to trik out the auto gearbox to a stage 4 shift kit ($500 - $1000), rather than replace the gearbox with a manual, which, (correct me if im wrong) costs about $1000.

what do you guys think, will i get more power out of the auto or the manual, assuming the auto will be upgraded.

or am i talking shit and none of it will really make a difference?

sorry if its kind of a noob question, i havent been in the skyline scene for a bout a year :D

cheers, steve :)

Edited by KLowN

but there so much more expensive?

find me a good one under 10k ill look into it, until then, i just want my question answered, keep your comments to yourself.

cheers, steve :D

there are a few guys on here with auto's. In the gb section they had upgrades to auto boxes available.

A quick auto will beat a manual on the street and drags...

I cant remember who, but MV automotive rings a bell..

It will be quite expensive to get an auto that is really suited for rb20.

I had an auto with my rb20 with a bit of power, and it wasn't a good match. It's just too laggy, and doesn't suit the peaky power delivery of the RB20. I've seen some rb25's go well with autos, but auto rb20.. my thoughts are don't bother.

Manual conversion will only be $1000 if a) you put in a 2nd hand clutch (erk) b) do 100% of the labour yourself c) get some good deals on the parts.

If you can't afford it, keep saving! You're going to have to spend a couple of $k getting it to either a manual or tricked up auto form. So its false economy.

thanx alot guys i think im just guna buy a manual skyline hey.... unless someones selling manual rb20 gearbox for cheap :) (pm me)

thanx alot for all your help :)

cheers, steve :laugh:

ok new questions!

ive heard that auto gearboxes in a det car use more fuel, because the turbo is always spooling, as opposed to a manual, where the turbo only spools when accelerating.

truth or shit?

also, ive heard that there is a decrease in power when using auto gearbox as opposed to manual.

we are talking rb20det here, not other rb models :starwars:

dont know about the turbo always spooling, i thought turbos spooled when ever the motors running? Theres is a decrease of power in auto's due to they way an auto box changes gears. As for fuel consumption that up to the driver realy.