SAU Community

Ecu Resetting Hehehehehe

yeh ok so ive read many people saying its good and that it should be done if the car has just been imported so it can learn our driving conditions, but ive heard many say its dumb and if anything itll mess the car up. I got quite a few problems with my car at the moment and was hoping doing this might help me with them. Mainly fuel related (leaning out, no pressure, no flow) but also boost related (got fmic and boost @ 12) as well as possibly spark related (coil packs). So anyways i figure it cant hurt to try... correct? orr incorrect ?

I did search for "ecu resetting" under modifications and maintenance but got 4 unhelpful results, so if any 1 has a spare 2 seconds itd be muchly appreciated.. i did once find a seperate webpage talking about it and other mods for skylines that can be useful, which i got off this forum, but ive lost it.. to reset i think it was something like take off battery, hold down brakes for a minute or smtn

Edited by r32 gts-turbo

its a wives tail, you wont gain anything i dont reckon

1) turn car off

2) undo ground wire for battery

3) pump brake pedal, all power should go off

4) reconnect

5) fang

its a wives tail, you wont gain anything i dont reckon

1) turn car off

2) undo ground wire for battery

3) pump brake pedal, all power should go off

4) reconnect

5) fang

Paul

do you think that the PFC has an "auto learn" function as well. I'm also a little sceptical of this.

k thanks dude ill give it a shot. I'll post back here if i notice any difference, just hoping that itll help with the leaning out, even a tiny bit :)

Edited by r32 gts-turbo

the powerfc has a self idle learn procedure which is executed when a user does a DATA INIT or when the unit is shipped as new from the factory. the self idle learn simply learns the car's optimum idle point by what i suspect is looking at the sensors and picking a varyation of paramters to get a constant idle that varies with say 5% and doesnt hunt up and down.

there is no self tune feature, self adjustment or anything else.

it is purely so the FC can out of the box run on almost any car setup and idle properly. nothing worse than shonky idle out of the box.

other ecu's that run a self tune use a wideband sensor and basically dial in or out AFR"s on demand based on what target or ideal AFR you give it. it reads what the wideband sensor says and decides if it needs more or less fuel. it can only be done with a wideband sensor

Dude do you said it yourself that there was no fuel flow so how the f**k is a ECU reset going to fix that? I've got a spun big end I wonder if an ECU reset will fix that??????

And Paul as for self learning the PFC doesn't have fuel trim cells so each time it goes through a certain point that may be above or below stoich then it has to trim the fuel accordingly it will not learn rich and learn areas of the map and compensate for it.

Also the self learn idle is just a control loop of the IAC motor nothing else.

Edited by rob82

relax relax relax relaxavou. Forgot i had adjusted my boost down about 2 psi just before resetting the ecu. Would help with leaning out a high rpm, dunno about the stuttering at 3k but that wsa almost gone. For interest sake, the ecu cant change fuel flows or ne thin? Like with a carby u can adjust it to run richer or leaner, a ecu cant do that?

Edited by r32 gts-turbo

Dude do you said it yourself that there was no fuel flow so how the f**k is a ECU reset going to fix that? I've got a spun big end I wonder if an ECU reset will fix that??????

And Paul as for self learning the PFC doesn't have fuel trim cells so each time it goes through a certain point that may be above or below stoich then it has to trim the fuel accordingly it will not learn rich and learn areas of the map and compensate for it.

Also the self learn idle is just a control loop of the IAC motor nothing else.

worth at least 25 rwkw when i did mine :laughing-smiley-014:

i've never noticed any difference with a reset. no wait, i have...usually pissed off because battery has been disconnected and i need to reset the radio.

The ECU reset does not always improve things from when they come over from Japan as 9/10 they change the battery to start the bastard when it comes off the boat and it has already lost it's memory from the self learn previously.

As for the "re-connect battery and fang", this is totally incorrect, you don't fang it around once it has been reset, you must drive it in all types of conditions. Cruising and power on. The factory computer DOES have a self learn procedure and it DOES improve driveability once it has re-learnt after a certain time.

You have other issues though. Have you changed your fuel filter lately, checked spark plugs? The fuel pumps are nearly always screwed so that could be your problem. Coil packs fail all the time. Don't expect the reset to make things better if there is a problem because the ECU will only learn around them. Then you will have problems once they are fixed.

ECU resets now fix:

1. Flat tyres

2. Flat Batteries

3. Broken head gaskets

4. Spun big ends

5. Crack or destroyed ring lands and

6. Dying fuel pumps

You know thats handy to know. I got a flat tyre tonite, got a screw in it. But will I still need to pump up the tyre, or will giving it a fang around fix that problem also?

Im running with Dan on this one tho. Fix the problem stuff, then reset.

all i know is a ecu reset, clears stored errors. e.g if you afm was stuffed and the ecu showed the code for a stuffed afm, a reset would clear this code (just untill the ecu sees the stuffed afm again)

rumour has it, depending on the problem a ecu can into "limp home mode" which makes it run very rich, just to get you home or some crap like that......

steve