SAU Community

Mystery Sound

DC_GTST

Hey Fella's,

Well in short the problem is located near the fan belt, but definetely isnt. At first thought it was as when cold thought it may have been, and sometimes when load applied it also does it (high pitch squeeling). However, had head under the bonnet and realised it wasnt the fan belt. It's a high pitch squeel much like that a loose/worn fanbelt, but is coming from around the injectors/alternator area.

Anyone with any help or possible idea to what it could be please shout out. Im hoping to get it into a workshop within a week, and seeming i dont get home to after dark i can't see too much.

Cheers

Dan

Edited by DC_GTST

Not sure, but is there a possibility that it's your timing belt? If an old idler or tensioner bearing seizes up, the belt would slip and scream across them?

It's a wild guess, and not exactly where you're hearing the problem, but might be worth having a look through the inspection plate?

sounds quite similar to mine.. I have removed my timing belt and it's definitely not the belt loose as that would be a big worry. I sprayed some wd40 around the area and it quietened up totally (but came back a day later).

It's either the water pump bearings or the timing belt bearing getting old and squeaky (it obviously wasn't replaced with my timing belt :P). I dont't think its fatal, but I'm definitely going to be looking at replacing my idler bearing and tensioner sometime in the next 6 months. I'm guessing that its not really possible for the bearings to totally cease overnight, but it could be an expensive mistake if I'm wrong.

Yes it would be expensive as the rb's are intereference motors. :thanks:

While your replacing the tensioners/idlers grab new studs for them from nissan for $2. Well worth while as the studs have been known to let go.

Also.. the idlers are stupidly priced, use 2 tensioners. The tensioners are locking so there's no problems there.

All the RB tensioners are the same (rb30,20,25,26) holden are slightly cheaper BUT they only run one bearing inside the shell compared to nissan that run 2 side by side in the shell. Thats holden for you. :P

or head down to CBC and have them match a bearing up, from memory the bearings are $30.

Bearings Industries was the other go... There is a big thread on it, and has their contact details. Both bearings cost me under $100 in total.

And fair enough, pred... it may not have seized, it could just be a whinger! In any case, DC... get it checked when your car gets booked in. =-]

Not sure, but is there a possibility that it's your timing belt? If an old idler or tensioner bearing seizes up, the belt would slip and scream across them?

It's a wild guess, and not exactly where you're hearing the problem, but might be worth having a look through the inspection plate?

In that case then,check to see if the teeth have worn down.very risky driving if that is the case...I think that it is just a slipping belt give all the fan belts a tighten up..';

When i got the car back on the road.I never had any air con for the 1st month and when i got it i9n the first 30 mins of driving with it on it started a super high pitch sqweel.It freaked me out and the peeps next to me....

All i did to remedy it was line the inner side air of the con pump fan belt with dry soap and re-tightened the belts.Now no sqweel.

Trust: I don't think the teeth on the belt would wear down if the idler seized. The idler and tensioner bearings ride on the outside of the belt.

Should be interesting to find out what it is!