SAU Community

Pansonic GD55

d0p3y

I'm not trying to start another flame war here but I just wanted to tell you my experience with Panasonic anyway. I went the opposite direction. I had a Panasonic GD68 and after about 1 month I couldn't handle all the problems and quirks anymore, so I sold it and bought an 8310 ;) I don't regret this at all, I love my 8310. Maybe the 55 is different I dunno, but here's what I can remember off-hand about the 68.

1. The colour screen is very hard to read in daylight, especially with a leather cover on it. It's dull and faded even when the lighting is good (it's an el-cheapo colour display like the 3530).

2. The clear plastic back scratches VERY easily. I took the leather cover off to help me read the display but then the back got trashed through normal usage in a matter of days.

3. The joystick/button doesn't do what you tell it to sometimes.

4. BIG lag on commands many times.

5. You can't receive Nokia business cards or text pics (with the former it comes up as a corrupted sms, with the latter the formatting is wrong)

6. The polyphonic ringtones are just about inaudible in anything other than perfect silence. I couldn't even hear it ring with my radio on in the car at a fairly quiet volume (maximum volume on phone). So I went back to a normal ringtone which is much louder.

7. Scrolling on SMSs is only one line at a time instead of a screenful like on Nokias (took me AGES to get used to this, and it still annoyed me).

8. You lose a lot of operability when you go to use all your friend's Nokia phones because all the commands are different. You keep hitting the wrong buttons on their phone and they don't know how to use your phone at all.

9. The games suck arse.

10. Battery only lasts about 2 days before needing a recharge (when I was in a low reception area once it didn't even last 24 hours)

11. The data cable cover is really flimsy, and starts to eject itself after awhile due to wear (keep in mind I only had the phone around a month!). You couldn't even get a data cable for it when I had mine. Now on the 8310 I use the IR port and a generic IR cable that works with everything :D

12. When replying to an SMS you can't change the recipient.

13. If you go back to the main menu while writing an SMS by hitting the red phone button you lose what you were typing forever (doesn't go into outbox or anything, and doesn't warn you you're about to lose your message).

14. Can't set it to vibrate AND ring, unless you give the silent mode an audible volume, in which case you have no silent mode.

15. Can't display your location from the phone towers on the main screen.

16. If you press a key while the screen saver is on, it doesn't display the time until it times out after a few seconds unless you have the clock as the screen saver. For this reason I never bothered with the other screensavers (they're all ugly anyway).

17. You can't disable the extended screensaver (the low-power using one). This is a "Panasonic" logo floating on a black background. So when looking at the phone in this mode you can't tell at a glance whether you've received any messages or missed any calls, you have to press a button and cancel the screen saver to see what you've missed.

18. The phone book is shitty, you can't get it to display the phone number easily if you're in certain menus (I forget which, maybe sms or when you're trying to ring someone). ie, if you have to give someone else a number, you have to go through the phone book normally and hit "display" or something. I forget now. I just know you can't do it from every menu where you can get their entry up.

19. It takes about 5 key presses to lock the keypad if you do it fast. If you do the 3 required ones fast, it won't acknowledge them all and it won't lock. Even having to press it 3 times is stupid.

Damn I can't think of any more to make it a round 20! Oh well :starwars: Anyway as I say, hopefully the GD55 doesn't have these problems so good luck with it.

Guest DON91E

hmm im abit iffy about those colour fones

i rekcon the best one was the samsung t100

the motorola colour one is SUPA DUPA LAGGY and just plain...crap

i guess the panasonic ain't too great either ;)

but the gd-55 isn't colour :D w00t

Yep I think the 55 is newer than the 68, so they've probably fixed a lot of the bugs in the 68. Looking at reviews it seems that it does have a much longer battery life as well, so it does seem to be a better phone all round. I just wanted to put up my story about Panasonic just so you can look out for those things on other Panasonic phones. For example, the way the menus and SMSing works.

coming from mainly nokia's...the software is still the best on a nokia but I'm over mobile phones....it's just a phone to me now ;)

the only bad thing about the GD55 is the service is sometimes lost with searching displayed on the screen or emergency only.

a quick turn off and then back on and it has signal again.

for 68grams...you can't beat it! esp @ $330 NEW!

thanks for the input JimX.. i won't think about buying a GD68 now =]

my 8310 has alot of software probs... i'm over fancy mobiles though, i just want something small that does its job...

GD55 is what i want...... and for $330 new.... you cant really complain