SAU Community

standard bov vented to atmosphere.

Hi everyone,

I know there has been plenty of posts on the subject but I just bought a completely standard 94 gtst last week and Ive been hankering for a bit of wanky choof choof sound. So this morning i vented my stock bov to atmosphere, I also plugged up the return hose. Now i have that really cool sound but my car idles up and down between 750-1500rpm. and when I pulled up to a stop the car stalled. I would rather have no sound than my car run rough. If i return it to the way it was will it run normal again or will i have to reset the ecu? If so how do you do this? Do you just disconnect then reconnect the battery? Is this problem common to all skylines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Boost

Should be ok if you just connect to back.

Your car compensates for the extra air that now is not there and so your car runs rich when you back off the throttle...

you can buy the HKS idle stabiliser thingy...or buy a hybrid BOV...

or just get over the wank factor for a whooosh :D

This question has been asked by how many people now????

NO the standard BOV cant be vented to free air and you would probably need a programmable ecu to run the standard one venting to free air.

Turbosmart have a valve that has both a pipe that recirculates the air to keep the ecu happy and at the same time a vent to free air (with trumpet :whackit: ) for the :whackit: wank :whackit: factor that everyone seems to need.

In regards to the stealthFX BOV, how does this go with cops?

It still vents to atmo, :. still defectable? I would imangine that as soon as ure bonnet came up, they'd try to hit u for it regardles of any setting in place.

It looks like a nice bov, but worth the hasle?

I'd say they'd defect you for it, but you could probably get off the charge later at the RTA. It'll still cost you the $75 charge to clear your name though.

Haven't you ever wished you didn't have a externally vented bov? I often do if I'm travelling in relatively slow traffic. It'd be nice to be able to turn the sound off it you don't want it that day. I'd be switching it all the time.

Guest Juiced32

ive had my bov blocked for the past say 20000Km it runs fine and it boost better and holds better. And since i got the fmic on it sounds a hell of alot louder.

Rev:

Venting the stocker wouldn't sound too good and as you said give you overfuelling problems. These hybrid bovs are perfect for noise and give you no overfuelling problems. This new one is even better as you can have a break from the noise if you feel like it.

I've got a SAFC, but prefer to use my return pipe to prevent overfuelling rather than the SAFC.

The S-AFC does a good job of correcting if you want atmo venting. The very hot air going back into the intake charge is not doing any favours but, I haven't tried taking the atmo venting track so I'm not sure how significant the power improvement would be without the extra 'hot' air.

after the intercooler and before the turbo. The intake air from the airbox is cooler than the air 'from' the intercooler (although it is much cooler than the turbo to ic air). Hence the air going to the plenum (and out the BOV) is warm/hot air Vs the air going into the turbo.