SAU Community

2nd Intake Pipe

JUN`R32

Just wanting to get some peoples views on a 2nd intake pipe leading to the Air filter for more induction ???

Pipe leading from front of bonnet to air filter to get direct air ????

Reckon it would be worth the hassle ????

Autospeed article suggests that it's a good idea. They measured the surface area of a few standard intake ducts and snorkels, and concluded that there is a bottleneck on most systems.

The other benefit was that the second one could be ducted to an area where more cool air is available, while keeping it looking stock.

They measured the pressure loss before and after, and even at idle the pressure loss was reduced. I just can't find a good way to do it on a stock R33 setup.... without making new holes.

yehh thats where i saw the info aswell,

just gonna see if there is anywhere which culd pass through with less cutting and altering.......

if anyone has tried this let us know i wanna know how much of a benefit it is

I just can't find a good way to do it on a stock R33 setup.... without making new holes.

same here. with the standard intercooler pipes in place, theres just no room for ducting.

but if anyone has worked out a method, i'd like to hear it. I'm using a pod, and dont have the standard snorkel happening.

Well i've tried an idea and im in the process of making it better.

I know u didnt wanna cut any holes but its only a fraction larger than the original hole, u could use a file...

Anyway first up i removed the stock air box and purchased a 90' silicone hose as it needed to be a tighter bend, then i bought a 90' 3" stainless piece of pipe. U could use an off cut from an exhaust shop.

Cut the hole slightly bigger and set up the silicone bend from the stock air flow meter so it bends down the hole and over the 3" 90' bend stainless.

I fed the stainess pipe up the hole and the silicone over the pipe so it didnt need to go down the hole.

Then position the stainless so its aiming foward and attach the pod filter.

This makes it positioned just under the fog lights on a series 2 front depending how long u leave the pipe, not sure about the series 1.

Problem was that the simota pod filter i have has a case around the outside. I bought it like that to help prevent stones etc bouncing up and damaging the pod filter. It worked fine .... until it rained heavly.

Problem was the rain bouncing up from the road and spraying up from other cars was collecting in the pods surrounding case. I realised as soon as i got home when i checked the pod and it was still wet. I had it positioned on an angle to prevent this but still dont feel comfortable driving in the wet like this.

Solution im adopting is removing the pod and silicone hose and leaving the stainless pipe hanging down from the hole with a polished trumpet like end that im gonna have welded to the end of it. That way in the gap under the fog light there will be a nice chrome funnel like thingie :rolleyes:

At the top side of the pipe, just inside the engine bay weld tabs to the tip of the pipe and put screws through them into the engine bay to hold it firm.

Then just fit the pod filter to the stock air flow meter as normally done and there u have it... done.

Even if the trumpet end goes under water it shouldnt matter as there is no direct suction, the air will just flow up the trumpet and be directed right at the pod filter.

Matt

Nahh i done it after i got the front mount installed, had to get a pod filter put on cause the stock air box was getting air from the engine because it had to be partly removed to fit the intercooler pipe work.

Im talkin about the hole directly under the stock air box its almost 3" I bought a hole saw but in the end used a file because there was bugger all to take out.

I dont think its the hole from the stock intercooler because im pretty sure thats still being used by the new cooler piping. Just look up under the front left guard you can see the hole clearly.

Ive seen a nice R32 in Jap with the headlight taken out, but obviously we cant do that here lol

How much of a benefit would it be ????

Worth the hassle and looks for a bit of clean air ???

hhmm.......

yeah it's one of the holes from the stock intercooler.

Munkyb0y, as already know we have the same front bar, if you add an intercooler you'll get a new hole under the stock airbox, ask a fabricator to route a pipe directly from this hole to the large air duct under the passenger side head light with a square to round transition so it surrounds the duct perfectly. This is what I have been planning to do for about 12 months, but keep putting it off.

Munkyb0y, as already know we have the same front bar, if you add an intercooler you'll get a new hole under the stock airbox, ask a fabricator to route a pipe directly from this hole to the large air duct under the passenger side head light with a square to round transition so it surrounds the duct perfectly. This is what I have been planning to do for about 12 months, but keep putting it off.

yeah i have already sussed that out, and seen pics of other sau member's ducting. seems pretty easy, especially with this front bar. but i'm still using the stock smic.

on that subject, u know when u stuff around with the intake and exhaust (pod and 3 inch), it throws the stock ecu off a bit, hence worse economy, and probably rich issues. does this get worse with the addition of a fmic?

also, i've heard ppl reporting greater lag on stock turbos with fmic, and others reporting better response.

what's ur take on this?

i've got a few cars now where I have an additional 3" flex pipe running from the front grille.

Typically when u install a FMIC the stock return hole is free which is directly under the filter.

I have run some pipe from the grille directly into this area...costs are minimal and the effort is low also. seems to work really well.

IMO the ipe form the grille has a bigger and less restricted air flow, if u add the stock intake then you should have plently of air avaliable.

as for FMIC and lag...if the return path is longer and the fmic is bigger then I assume you will get more lag. Also the size of the turbo contributes to this.

Since all my r33 upgrades I get more lag...but personally I don't care as for when I'm just crusing it just runs like a NA 2.5 car around the place...then I rev it a bit harder and I have a 12 second car. Personal preference I guess.

yeah i have already sussed that out, and seen pics of other sau member's ducting. seems pretty easy, especially with this front bar. but i'm still using the stock smic.

on that subject, u know when u stuff around with the intake and exhaust (pod and 3 inch), it throws the stock ecu off a bit, hence worse economy, and probably rich issues. does this get worse with the addition of a fmic?

also, i've heard ppl reporting greater lag on stock turbos with fmic, and others reporting better response.

what's ur take on this?

You get a bit more lag with the FMIC but you can barely notice at all even so you compensate by fitting a full turbo back exhaust with high flow cat. In my experience the exhaust improved fuel economy.

The stock ecu does get stuffed around a bit, Idle hunt and run's a bit richer (i think because of the fmic??) but on the open highway its better.

Well i got it completed yesterday and heres some pics. i'll post em but its the first time i've posted anything so i aint sure if it'll work

Engine bay

post-28112-1155946656.jpg

Under guard

post-28112-1155946725.jpg

Hole in air filter cover

post-28112-1155946805.jpg

Air filter over induction hole

post-28112-1155946853.jpg

Front view

post-28112-1155946904.jpg

Under the front of intercooler looking upwards

post-28112-1155946969.jpg

Finished induction pipe

post-28112-1155947162.jpg

lol after seeing ur post u got me fired up to fix up mine.

Went down to this place and bought some 3" flex pipe...the black stuff with the wire in it. Ran it from the old return hole form the stock IC to the grille in the same point u have. seem tos work fine...might put some mesh over it ot something later...

cost $10. time 5min...

From the front....sleeper look - i.e. hard to see it.

post-27030-1155961515.jpg

My CAI box and pod...sorry lid hasn't been polished for a bit

post-27030-1155961528.jpg

the pipe from the stock SMIC retun hole

post-27030-1155961497.jpg

series2r33 I was thinking of having the same set-up as currently my pod is unprotected in the engine bay, I was wanting to know is there performace loss do to increasing the length of the induction pipe?

mate the stock intake form the grille is kinda crap. a 3" pipe into the box makes sure there is lots of airflow.

where did u get the box for your pod filter from? was it custom made? looks sweet

from this forum...some1 made them check the GB or for sale section

the filter is a Unifilter pod for the R33....check http://www.uniflow.com.au/