SAU Community

I Tuned My Own Ecu!

Medium Dave

Well I was after a project to occuopy my mind for a bit, so I decided to try and tune the standard ecu, and after a lot of reaserch I invested in the gear (thanks ebay) and tonight I have done it. I removed the speed cut and played with the afr's a little - and programmed a chip. at first I thought I flamingo'ed up (a big cock up) the car went into limp home mode... smeg. I tell you there is no better motivation to fix a car than when you kill the thing yourself, so I went back over my work, re programmed a few chips with no luck, then I installed a slightly different piece of eprom programming software and hey presto she Runs! It feels like it boosts a little quicker and goes just a bit harder, but that could be my imagination, I really didnt change that much...

In addition to being able to remap the afr's I can remove the speed limiter, raise the rev limit, change injectors, change afm! Woot! Challenge nil, my brain 1

Sorry to blow my own trumpet, but those who know me know that I can get a little excited :P

Anyhow the 32 will be off to the dyno soon with a few different tunes in hand to see what it will do! Dyno sheets to follow!... as soon as I have the spare cash of course ;) - Im as poor as an after school special

Edited by Medium Dave

Well I was after a project to occuopy my mind for a bit, so I decided to try and tune the standard ecu, and after a lot of reaserch I invested in the gear (thanks ebay) and tonight I have done it. I removed the speed cut and played with the afr's a little - and programmed a chip. at first I thought I flamingo'ed up (a big cock up) the car went into limp home mode... smeg. I tell you there is no better motivation to fix a car than when you kill the thing yourself, so I went back over my work, re programmed a few chips with no luck, then I installed a slightly different piece of eprom programming software and hey presto she Runs! It feels like it boosts a little quicker and goes just a bit harder, but that could be my imagination, I really didnt change that much...

In addition to being able to remap the afr's I can remove the speed limiter, raise the rev limit, change injectors, change afm! Woot! Challenge nil, my brain 1

Sorry to blow my own trumpet, but those who know me know that I can get a little excited :P

Anyhow the 32 will be off to the dyno soon with a few different tunes in hand to see what it will do! Dyno sheets to follow!... as soon as I have the spare cash of course ;) - Im as poor as an after school special

There are a few people in Tassie with Eprom gear now.

Look forward to seeing the dyno sheets, are you able to copy maps that are already on a chipped ECU???

Dr Drift tried with the one that was on mine but it was encrypted!!!

WELL DONE MATE!! I am looking at doing this myself... I have had it rechipped and dyno tuned by Dr Drift but I want to add GTR injectors and a Z32 AFM (already have the gear!)

I should be able to just replace the chip and check / modify the AFR on a dyno but a little know how will be needed!!

As GMB said, are you able to read the data from my current chip?

Anyway, well done again!!

I dont know about the encryption, but I think you can use a consult cable to take a dump from the ecu... I might have to do a bit of reaserch into it, when I figure it out I will give you a hoy Todd, I have been talking to a guy from my work, Mark - gets around on the boostcruising forums, he has told me a bit about your car :P

Edited by Medium Dave

That is a good thing then :P

Were you up at the drifts? Have you got a pic of your car?? Wouldn't happend to be black with white starcorp rims... near toyota?? I love that car! (doesn't matter if it's not! ;) )

I have an in cabin switch for rwd, but I rarely drift it, the damage happened before I bought it, some kids tried to nick the spoiler and damaged the paint, stabbed the seats and took the head unit... little bastards, but I got it cheap, so thats ok, bit of a work in progress - I just say its drift damage because its easier than saying all that :P anyhow, here are a few pics of the car a friend of mine took, he is pretty handy with the lens - the first one was taken while I was doing nuts' with him standing 1m away from the front of the car...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/med...ve/DSC_1598.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/med...ve/DSC_1614.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/med...ve/DSC_1571.jpg

- Im' not usually a poser, but Owen insisted, I got him to take a few shots without me in them but he didnt give me those, ah well.

Any chance you can give us a run down on what is involved??

i.e; Where to get programs? What hardware is needed? What you have learnt? Anything else you can share that may help me/us...

Thanks Dave!

• 2 weeks later...
There are a few people in Tassie with Eprom gear now.

are you able to copy maps that are already on a chipped ECU???

Yes. Pretty much all of the eprom programmers out there now have the function to read a eprom as well as burn them, all you need is the software to decipher it all.

I've been playing with programming for a while now and have decided it's not worth the trouble. By the time you buy a programmer, laptop, emulator, cables etc it's a lot easier to go aftermarket.

If you want to have a crack at it;

Programs: NRE (Nissan Real Time Edit), LiveEdit, RomEditor are programs I've used.

Hardware: Willem Eprom Programmers are pretty cheap on ebay.

Emulators: Moates.com [or on ebay] have emulators at a half decent price for real time tuning.

A consult interface cable is also a good addition.

If your'e still interested you can find a lot of info on nissanecuforums.com and the U.S sites bout honda, GM tuning etc. (same as nissan).

Dammit Tim, now I have to learn japanese :laugh: the mines website is all in ?????'s

Shaun is pretty well correct, if you just want to tune your car, let someone else do it, If you want to learn how its done, read all that, play with the software, then let someone else do it :laugh: I just have too much time on my hands

Dammit Tim, now I have to learn japanese :P the mines website is all in ?????'s

Shaun is pretty well correct, if you just want to tune your car, let someone else do it, If you want to learn how its done, read all that, play with the software, then let someone else do it :( I just have too much time on my hands

When I have time I will find some info and links and post it up for you.

Yes. Pretty much all of the eprom programmers out there now have the function to read a eprom as well as burn them, all you need is the software to decipher it all.

I've been playing with programming for a while now and have decided it's not worth the trouble. By the time you buy a programmer, laptop, emulator, cables etc it's a lot easier to go aftermarket.

If you want to have a crack at it;

Programs: NRE (Nissan Real Time Edit), LiveEdit, RomEditor are programs I've used.

Hardware: Willem Eprom Programmers are pretty cheap on ebay.

Emulators: Moates.com [or on ebay] have emulators at a half decent price for real time tuning.

A consult interface cable is also a good addition.

If your'e still interested you can find a lot of info on nissanecuforums.com and the U.S sites bout honda, GM tuning etc. (same as nissan).

I know that they can read/burn eprom but most of the smart tuners "encrypt" there maps to stop that!!!

Thats why i was asking Dave if he did/does the same :P

You can also buy eprom maps as downloads from MINES in japan, might have to pull a little timing out of them but could be worth a look.

Good to hear ya back big fella, how's the car coming along???

GMB

I know that they can read/burn eprom but most of the smart tuners "encrypt" there maps to stop that!!!

Thats why i was asking Dave if he did/does the same :)

Good to hear ya back big fella, how's the car coming along???

GMB

Didn't you get my PM??? its still not on the road yet but Im in WA and cant do anything about it so im getting it fixed and selling it asap. Sent you a pm when i was down in tas and again the other day but maybe you didnt get it.

Didn't you get my PM??? its still not on the road yet but Im in WA and cant do anything about it so im getting it fixed and selling it asap. Sent you a pm when i was down in tas and again the other day but maybe you didnt get it.

Nah didn't get a PM :happy:

I've been having trouble with PM's on here and NS.com (think its cause of the Mac :rofl: )

So you've moved to WA cause Tassie just wasn't warm enough hey compared to Japan ;)