SAU Community

Vehicle Inspection In Act

nsanity

I thought that all private imports/modified vehicles have to go to Dickson, only standard cars can get away with going elsewhere.

By modified I mean modified and requiring an engineer's certificate

The Car has been Complied since 1998...

So do i visit a rego check? or dickson - i'm not really keen on going to dickson, i hear bad things, and i'd rather go there later rather than sooner.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh i thought all interstates had to go over dickson.

Ok well i just got off the phone to the Rego mob.

I told the lady exactly my details (bought it in Melbourne, it has ~1 month left on it rego, I have an ACT license) and was told the following

I need to go to Dickson, or any Authorised Inspection station and get a roadworthy certificate. (I confirmed this twice.)

I need to bring my Bill of Sale

I need to bring my License

I need to bring a secondary form of ID

It will cost me

$37 admin

$64 application fee

$642.60 rego (12 months)

$x @ 3% of purchase price - Stamp Duty.

Cool.

So who is a good mob that can do some work (i need the oil pressure switch changed - i have the part), give it a look over and give me a ceritificate for the ACT? Belconnen would be preferred as i can probably get that done tomorrow.

Edited by nsanity

As to the letter of the law, it must go over Dickson.

People have however been successful in getting it registered by taking it to an authorised inspection station and then taking the report into a canberra connect shopfront.

However you can get caught doing this, and RTA also do audits on registrations and if they see your import as being registered without going over Dickson, you will recieve a random reinspection letter in the mail where they will go harder on you for circumventing the system. It can take 12 - 18 months to get said random reinspection letter.

My advice is to just take it to Dickson.

Why did you have to go to Dickson to get inspected?

Because i had too, its an import and also interstate. If you go to a registered inspection station they SHOULD tell you to go over dickson.

All i can say is im glad its over and its ACT registered :angry:.

Good luck mate.

I wouldnt be so confident, i did that when i go my car rego'd... but sure enough, the "random reinspection letter" came after amount a month of rego.

The guy who passed my car called the RTA and asked one of the dudes, they said he could pass me.

Dickson here I come.

How do they feel about a FMIC and a pod filter and a GTR front bar?

they are my only mods I have.

I have a stocko airbox front bar and cooler but REALLY don't want to put it all on as it would take me ages to do it all.

will it pass with these things on

Just to let you know my side of the story.

I've got NSW plates on my car, got defected for tyres. but since it was a modified vehicle it has to go over the dickon pits to check for any other defects.

I passed with twin hks pod filters. they are pretty sturdy and the guy tried to moved them around.

so looks like pods are ok in ACT as long as they are secure.

Interesting the conflicting views on where cars need to go. Even if you ring them you may not get the right answer.

I'm simply going to take mine to a garage and see if they will inspect it. It has an Aussie plate on it, an Aussie VIN and is completely standard.

Interesting the conflicting views on where cars need to go. Even if you ring them you may not get the right answer.

I'm simply going to take mine to a garage and see if they will inspect it. It has an Aussie plate on it, an Aussie VIN and is completely standard.

Just got off the phone with Dickson Inspectors.

To the letter of the law is.

You only need to take the vehicle to Dickson if

1. The Vehicle is less than 10 years old (mine is 1995).

2. The Vehicle is modified as per an Engineeers Certificate.

3. You have been pointed there otherwise (some inspection stations will send you there apparently).

Being that my vehicle has been complied and registered in Australia, i don't need to go to dickson. Should you recieve a reinspection letter, it is them "checking up" on the inspection stations - not a "nasty" trick.

I can't get a spot in Dickson till Monday, and i need my car done before then, so i'll be off to a regular inspection station.

I stressed to the guy that the "word on the street" was that if you haven't gone past dickson when registering that you "magically" get a reinspection notice within 6 weeks, but he disagreed and said they were merely checking up on people.

I also stressed i wanted this over and done with, and he said i'd be fine going over at a regular inspection station.

I stressed to the guy that the "word on the street" was that if you haven't gone past dickson when registering that you "magically" get a reinspection notice within 6 weeks, but he disagreed and said they were merely checking up on people.

Just because he said it, doesnt make it true >_<

I'm sure every 3rd notice handed out is to check up on the inspection station, but the others are to make you remove the BOV and everything you reinstalled after you first got your rego...

Just got off the phone with Dickson Inspectors.

To the letter of the law is.

You only need to take the vehicle to Dickson if

1. The Vehicle is less than 10 years old (mine is 1995).

2. The Vehicle is modified as per an Engineeers Certificate.

3. You have been pointed there otherwise (some inspection stations will send you there apparently).

Being that my vehicle has been complied and registered in Australia, i don't need to go to dickson. Should you recieve a reinspection letter, it is them "checking up" on the inspection stations - not a "nasty" trick.

I can't get a spot in Dickson till Monday, and i need my car done before then, so i'll be off to a regular inspection station.

I also stressed i wanted this over and done with, and he said i'd be fine going over at a regular inspection station.

I think there all a bunch of idiots, every one of them has a different opinion, my 180 was 15yrs old and i had to take it when i got it. There is that many rules going around, the best thing to do is just visit your local inspection station and they will let you know what to do. When i took my 33 to dickson they asked for the form that i received from the inspection station (paul wyhte automotive) so obviously you need the get cleared from them before you go to dickson.

I think there all a bunch of idiots, every one of them has a different opinion, my 180 was 15yrs old and i had to take it when i got it. There is that many rules going around, the best thing to do is just visit your local inspection station and they will let you know what to do. When i took my 33 to dickson they asked for the form that i received from the inspection station (paul wyhte automotive) so obviously you need the get cleared from them before you go to dickson.

I swear we should make an FAQ for this shit.

Registering your Car in ACT - The SAU FAQ

Q: Does anyone to do with ACT Rego have any idea about how to get your car registered here in ACT?

A: No.

I spoke with Shaun at Discount Tyres here in Belco, he asked a few questions (mostly about blow off valves (ffs i hate the noise, if i could make it quieter i would), lowering the car (why? suspension geometry goes out), exhaust and rims) then said no problems for tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I had my GTR inspected at an service station authorised through the ACT urban services.

15 months later i recieved a recall letter and i had to take the car the Dickson. Height and exhaust were the major issues with the car. Then they found the roll cage.

That was enginered for NSW and i had to get it done for ACT. Its now a full road worthy 4 point cage with no rear seats. No problems as i/ve been tested since by RTA on hindmarsh some months back..

In summery, go dickson. get it out of the way. but see a mechanic to check all aspects first.. Most import workshops deal with these issues often...

The rules change every 2 weeks, thats why.

I went to get my rego check done and the guy was like "we cant do import, new rules brought in recently". I told him to give the RTA a call, and they told him "oh yeah now you can do them, new rules brought in recently".

Theres no consistency. The only thing that remains consistant is if you end up getting it passed at an inspection station, you're surely gonna get a letter to say you've gotta go past dickson anyways.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine that had a GTiR a couple of years ago. It was reinspected a month later. Maybe I should just take it to Dickson to get the hassle out of the way.