SAU Community

Distortion/interference Prob R33

stevo~

hey guys

I recently installed a set of 6" MTX 6001 (90RMS) speakers in the rear parcel shelf. They are being run off a kicker amp so i believe they have enough power, but if i start to turn up the volume it sounds like there is interferance with the signal as if i was listening to a radio station that wasnt correctly tuned in? I tried playing with the treb, bass and gain on the headunit and amp but with no luck. Any one had this drama or have any suggestions?

cheers luke

Sounds like you are having the famous "alternator whine" problem which is experienced by many a Skyline owner. Does this "interference" increase in loudness with the revs of your engine?

Sounds like you are having the famous "alternator whine" problem which is experienced by many a Skyline owner. Does this "interference" increase in loudness with the revs of your engine?

Not really its only when i trun up the volume that i start to hear the interference. I did however here the engine idle come over the speakers when i was sitting at the lights. But its not the sort of distortion that you would associate with crappy speakers that are being put to the limit but like i stated, more like when the radio station isnt tuned in properly.

Ah yeah. I have both. The hazy static noise went away when I turned my gains down on the amp though.

The whine is still there, and there's just about nothing I can do to get rid of it.

I found a blown ground wire for the RCA's in my head unit, repaired that, tested with a multimeter, reinstalled, but it's still there. If I unplug the front set of RCA's, it goes away. Changed cables, swapped front and rear, changed amp. It won't go. Pretty sure it's my headunit that's at fault.

So. Turn down your gain. ALL THE WAY down. Then crank your headunit and see if the static is there.

Yeah, from what i've read, if everything else has been done correctly, then the only other thing that causes the static and whine is a bad RCA earth.

Either you've killed the earth in the amp, or in the HU. It's hard to find out without borrowing someone else's stuff.

I'm quite sure my HU is the problem. It had a burt track in the HU, and the amp has changed to a different new unit.

Yeah, from what i've read, if everything else has been done correctly, then the only other thing that causes the static and whine is a bad RCA earth.

Either you've killed the earth in the amp, or in the HU. It's hard to find out without borrowing someone else's stuff.

I'm quite sure my HU is the problem. It had a burt track in the HU, and the amp has changed to a different new unit.

yeh im going to borrow a amp this weekend and see if it fixes the prob, and ill write up my results