SAU Community

Stagea boot lid probs

Liamiamy

This is a bit of a long shot but.... I cannot open the boot (rear hatch) on my 1996 rs four stagea. It has a system on it that sort of self-closes (like on top end mercs) and I think that it is this that is faulty.

Anyone know how I can open the boot? All the screws to take the interior panel off are hidden when it is closed so I can't open it from the inside. I guess its electrical.

As I said, a long shot, but if anyone can help or 'knows a man that can' then I would appreciate it. (having a Stagea without a boot defeats the object of swapping from a skyline!)

I cannot find a blown fuse so I guess it might be a relay of some sort - any idea which one?

I should also add that the light on my dashboard shows that the boot isn't shut and the luggage compartment light goes on, when I am driving over bumps or at speed.

Stageas are very rare over here (UK) so nobody seems to be able to help

Thanks

Liam

Not good :)

Sounds to me that the switch that tells the car that the hatch is open or closed is faulty. From what I've seen the hatch has two sensors. The switch that says that the hatch is totally closed, and a switch in the latch to say that the hatch is part open which then tells the motor to pull it shut.

Soo, I would say that the 'totally shut' switch is stuffed, and the motor is pulling hard on the hatch cause it thinks it's part open etc..

I would disconnect the battery (or find the fuse for the rear hatch motor), this will kill the power to the rear motor then you should be able to open the rear hatch with the key manually.

One open you'll have to find the switch that is playing up, or, disconnect the 'totally shut' switch until you find the problem. It just means that you might loose the auto pull shut until it's all fixed.

It's pretty tight in the back hatch door.

Hope you get it sorted out.

J

Nope, just tried and nothing. Last time I looked at all the fuses and relays that I could find so maybe 'wiggled' one that allowed the boot to open when I reconnected the battery. I just can't remember exactly what I did as I assumed at the time it was the disconnection of the battery that made the difference.

Before I start unscrewing everything I can at the back to try and get access, is there any point?

Liam

if you only half close your hatch, the mechanism grabs it and pulls it shut the whole way. some kind of safety thing i think so you don't leave your boot alf open.

I wish mine didn't do it! Anyone got any ideas how I can open my boot? Does anyone know where the relay is that controls this motor or which fuse it runs through?

We have a another baby due in 2 weeks (hence the change form skyline r32) and I need to fill it with prams, cots, etc etc etc. (oh and a caliber sub of course!)

Liam

Pretty certain it is one of the fuses in the fuse box under the bonnet - I know when I replaced all my fuses last week that I heard the sound of the boot motor turning over when I pulled/replaced one of the fuses - 10 amp I would reckon at a guess - possibly lower right hand side of the fuse box when looking from the drivers side... but that may not help...

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys ... I know this thread started like 3 years ago but I have the same problem with my M35 Stagea. Luckily it has the small hatch (which works) and the manual release inside.

I haven't taken the car to an electrician yet as I am trying to see if it is some fuse or relay blown. Does anyone know where these are located for the main boot.

Info:

1. the release button doesn't appear to do anything for the main hatch

2. have checked all fuse I could find (by drivers foot, under bonnet by battery)

3. have to really slam the main hatch otherwise doesn't shut fully (normally motor pulls shut but not working)

Any help would be greatly apprecicated before I resort to the auto electrician.

Grant

• 5 months later...
Hey Guys ... I know this thread started like 3 years ago but I have the same problem with my M35 Stagea. Luckily it has the small hatch (which works) and the manual release inside.

I haven't taken the car to an electrician yet as I am trying to see if it is some fuse or relay blown. Does anyone know where these are located for the main boot.

Info:

1. the release button doesn't appear to do anything for the main hatch

2. have checked all fuse I could find (by drivers foot, under bonnet by battery)

3. have to really slam the main hatch otherwise doesn't shut fully (normally motor pulls shut but not working)

Any help would be greatly apprecicated before I resort to the auto electrician.

Grant

i know this is old. but thanks you just saved me tearing the inside of my stagea apart!

And did you find a fix?? mines doing the exact same thing!!

cheers!!

Edited by zei20l