SAU Community

G'day from the mainland

whatsisname

Thought I'd drop in & say g'day to you guys/girls from my old home state :D Born - Hobart First 16yrs - Sheffield ("Town of murals")

From reading the other threads in the Tassie section it seems the Import scene is slowly growing in Hobart, Devonport & Launie. Good to see :) I tried in vain to get my old man to see the light (he's gone from RS Liberty - 94 WRX - 97 Club Spec WRX - White 2dr STI) but all to no avail :D

So what's the off-street drag scene like down there? From memory there's a drag strip up north? I'm guessing it's mostly old school V8's with a total lack of respect for Japanese turbo's?

My wife & I (with new bub in tow) are heading down to visit my oldies in Sept' (they live in Eagle Hawk Neck & Primrose Sands respectively) so if I see any of you out & about I'll be sure to say g'day ;) We're taking the boat & driving (3rd time in 6yrs) so it should be fun.

Cheers,

Matt

• 6 months later...

Hey Matt,

Thanks for dropping by...the Tassie part of this forum is pretty dead so don't be to put off by the lack of replies.

A Sheffield boy...not a bad place at all but its been awhile since i have been up there.

Im not really all too sure about the import scence as i don't really have alot of contact with other import drivers...but there are afew skylines kicking about so i guess its only a matter of time before it gets going.

Again i haven't ben up to the drags in ages so i can't really say whats going on...last time i was up there it was manly a V8 fest with the occasional rotor thrown in....no imports what so ever which was abit dissapointing. When i get abit of cash together i might build up myself a import dragger and show these V8 heads what import fury is all about :(

Your coming down at the right time...summer is nearly hear and wwe have been having afew nice days...the past week has been shitty but it can only get better...if you see a white 180sx with bodykit, wheels, exhaust...etc driving around then its me...give me a wave!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey mate. You'd be suprised how much the import scene has grown in the last year or so. I'm from Launceston so I'm pretty close to the drags, I went and ran my car at one of the test and tune days, and there were a few other imports out there. Havent been to an actual meet for a while though. I'm part of a club called 'Team Elysium' which is a launnie based jap car club, only a few of the cars are imports though. I'm usually all over the state cruizing round, drive a white r33 gtst with veilside kit with GTR rear wing, black chrome rims, I'm sure You'll notice it if you see it. RX8 hey? thats sweet!

I am from the launceston area and drive a black r32 gtst with a GTR front bar, and usual 3 inch from the turbo mods. I heard about you guys in the newspaper but cant seem to log onto your site. I am interested in hooking up with other import drivers and want to know more about your club.

I am from the launceston area and drive a black r32 gtst with a GTR front bar, and usual 3 inch from the turbo mods. I heard about you guys in the newspaper but cant seem to log onto your site. I am interested in hooking up with other import drivers and want to know more about your club.

Hey dude, just a jap car club, usually have a cruise or meet couple of times a month. We are trying to get the car scene a bit more happening in tas, trying to set up a car show(working with the council on that) and just interested in modified jap cars.

http://www.team-elysium.com

We do have forums on there aswell but you must sign up to the forum before you can view.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Paul.

P.S. got any pics of ur car? r32's are pretty scarce, I've only seen a couple round so chances are I've seen it, u gotta love skylines.

Hey dude, I am very good mates with phat_r33, we cruise together, i drive a S13 Silvia with a list of mods including an RB25DET conversion. we wanna see more imports about the place so if you wanna meet up just come in town one night, or check us out on Elysium forum. Unfortunatelly you won't see either of us about as phat_r33 is having some panel work done, and my car is off the road having a water pump/timing belt change, and things really haven't been going to plan.

Would love to see your car though, as i love r32s but couldn't afford one at the time

• 3 weeks later...

both you boys cars are off the road.....not good. I herd about the Phat_r33 car that was tough luck for sure. but silvia thats not good tim. I was looking forward to going for a cruise in the silvia.

I am looking forward to going for a run in my brothers twin turbo supra in the next few weeks, .....oh yeah!

I think I know you mr_r32gtst as you came into my work a few times, it is a very nice r32. Have you seen the r32 with the custom airbruch work on the rear of it that looks nice.

I've seen that, does look very tough, TT supra? nice. MY car should be back on the road next week just in time for christmas, should be looking the goods, veilside kit, GTR wing, Carbon bonnet. cant wait!

how much did you end up paying for the carbon bonnet as I have been looking for one for a while?

ended getting it for $1095, there were cheaper around but they were really plain, and I wanted carbon mainly for the ventilation. Got it of Unique Autosports.

Ahh the serenity....

All this import talk hehe.. And I just bought a 77 pimp machine... Althought I love imports.

My r30 is finaly off the road....

Tim you still want it? if not I'll use it as a thrash car...

(not that I didn't already)

More like 8000 rpm instead of 7000 haha......

I can't believe I strayed off the Import path for a moment to buy a V8....

But there are some advantages....

Because of the bogan territory, all mechanics know these V8's, The boot space.. mate.. I reeckon i can fit 6 15" Focal subs in there... and a TV, Couch, Bar fridge...

And These cars seem to be the ones that pick up chicks down here.... Odd that......

Good to see some posting in the tassie forum though...

Chill.... I am.

u know Phat_r33 the carbon bonnet is gunna look shit !!!!!! I told you man carbon looks better on my car!!!!!! when the gearbox is replaced again!

U get one then panda and we'll see which looks better than pressure pack!!