SAU Community

Quick R33 Gts-t Question

I'm really new to the Skyline world, but I'm trying my best to learn as fast as I can, so forgive me if I do ask some obvious questions now and then. ^_^"

I'm right on the verge of purchasing an R33 GTS-T. However, I'm a bit confused about some of the things the car has to offer.

Such as:

1) What does the snow and power option do? I heard that snow gives the car more traction and power gives it more power for racing purposes, but how does it actually help?

2) Does the R33 only take premium unleaded petrol? What happens if someone feeds it normal unleaded?

3) I noticed that quite a fair number of R33 headlights are kinda "foggy" or "yellowish". Is there any way of cleaning them?

Anyhow, Is there a car manual available online which I can reference from, or tips as to how I can take good care of the car?

Thanks a million!

Such as:

1) What does the snow and power option do? I heard that snow gives the car more traction and power gives it more power for racing purposes, but how does it actually help?

Snow when engaged, when used from takeoff skips first gear and starts the car moving in 2nd gear to prevent wheel spin when traction is not that accessible. This is not a form of traction control, but a more basic alternative which is more effective dependant on the driving style.

Power when engaged holds the RPM's a lot more before the shift, so lets say you reduce you acceleration a bit usually the auto box would shift another gear :happy: with power engaged it would hold the higher gear in case you want to accelerate more. I would guess it tweaks some more basic settings in the ecu.

2) Does the R33 only take premium unleaded petrol? What happens if someone feeds it normal unleaded?

Since in Japan in general fuel is a much higher octane than in Australia, premium fuel is recommended (at least 98 octane) but if you cant find that around your area you can use a lower octane unleaded fuel. The only issue(s) you would find is if you have you car modded to some extent and/or tuned to a specific fuel..this could cause problems in the long run if the car isn’t tuned with some leeway for lower quality fuels.

The “stock” ecu usually does some adjustments that would rob you of some power & keep the engine safe if using lower quality fuels.

3) I noticed that quite a fair number of R33 headlights are kinda "foggy" or "yellowish". Is there any way of cleaning them?

In most cases you can use a special plastic polish that you can find on the shelf like Meguire’s, mothers etc but good results have been found my using a light cutting/polish or just a basic automobile polish that you would use on your paint.

Most of these things have been covered on the forums, you can quickly find them but using the "search" function, but i felt kind today & wrote it all up :laugh:

Hope it clears up your questions. Cheers Rob.. Also why getting an auto??

^_^ thanks! I couldn't find the snow and power thing anywhere though, so I thought I was the only person to actually start wondering.

Getting an auto because I hate clutch control in a traffic jam, and I simply cannot imagine myself reversing the car and trying to parallel park upslope. The roads here are crazy sometimes!

^_^ thanks! I couldn't find the snow and power thing anywhere though, so I thought I was the only person to actually start wondering.

Getting an auto because I hate clutch control in a traffic jam, and I simply cannot imagine myself reversing the car and trying to parallel park upslope. The roads here are crazy sometimes!

You wont be dissapointed with an R33 auto! I love mine, it shifts smoothly and accelerates nicely. I was coming from a VS 4 speed auto and Skyline box just out guns it.

Gotta love being able to touch your GF while driving too haha

No dramas just wondering >_<

You wont be dissapointed with an R33 auto! I love mine, it shifts smoothly and accelerates nicely. I was coming from a VS 4 speed auto and Skyline box just out guns it.

Gotta love being able to touch your GF while driving too haha

Hahaha! Now I know the true reason why autos are so popular! But you can do that with a manual too, if you're on the expressway~ >_<