SAU Community

Rb20det Problems?

R32_Damo

Hey ,

Ive just done a RB20 conversion in my VL and its running rich as pumpin black smoke out idleing all the time, i cleaned my O2 sensor with degreaser and put it bak it and no smoke and run great for good 5 mins but the startd running ruff and pumping out smoke. I tryd washing it agian but didnt do nething.

Also on boost at 3500-4000 i start miss fired/ backfiring but i rekn thats a coil problem?

So i was wondering if any1 in Adelaide would have spare coils and a ECU i could borrow to see if mine i stuffed?

il pay you for letting me borrow the stuff, money or beers whateva u want.

Dont no whatelse to do?

Need to find out whats going on with car b4 weekend.

Thanks Damo!!!

I would tend to ignore testing the ecu for now.

Look back at the afm and o2 sensor.

First disconnect the o2 sensor completely. See if it runs better.

Unforunately I don't have a stock afm anymore so You cant test that. :laugh:

With regards to the missfire... Grab a set of BCPR6E NGK spark plugs (grab them from Motor traders at around $3.00 each)

If your running the std gap 1.1mm this may be your problem. so A set of BCPR6E Coppers will get you on your way.

wots a RB20det like in a VL i would of though engine of choice would of been a RB25det

sorry cant add any more info to what cubes has said but...

go the nissan :) least you know where to come for help

Hey,

I check my Valve timing today and there’s alignment marks on the cams and back cover and the inlet cam was 2 teeth out and exhaust 1 tooth out?

Is this a problem?

I reset the cams so both alignment marks lined up with the alignment marks on back cover. This made car run better and less black smoke but still rich, drove better but and let me boost more but still missing on boost, changed coils so don’t thing they r causing it?

What do you people think?

Thanks Damo!!!

I reset the cams so both alignment marks lined up with the alignment marks on back cover. This made car run better and less black smoke but still rich, drove better but and let me boost more but still missing on boost, changed coils so don’t thing they r causing it?

What do you people think?

What plug gap are you running.. Even with new coils you need to run a 0.8mm gap.

cubes it wouldnt be a air leek ?? sucking in too much air through the inlet sumwhere?

Could be a split i/c hose or something, from experience they tend to really kill power with a rough/miss type feel. Kill power to the point of it almost doesn't accelerate.

What plug gap are you running.. Even with new coils you need to run a 0.8mm gap.

Could be a split i/c hose or something, from experience they tend to really kill power with a rough/miss type feel. Kill power to the point of it almost doesn't .

Hey,

Yeh im still running 0.8s.

Everythnig seems ok tho vac hoses, cooler pipes ect? cant seem to see anything crackered, ripped, cant feel or hear any leaks, it accelerates now, goes better then b4 atfer doing valve timing, dunno why they woulda been out so much?

hopfuly my Dyno shop will be able to help me out with it 2moro?

I need some info on the difference from RB20DET redtop injectors and Silvertop injectors?

Think the problem with it running rich is the ECU is telling the ijectors to pump to much fuel in.

Now i have Redtop injectors with a i guess silvertop ECU

Coz putn a RB25 ECU in stopd it running rich.

The RB25 had a less ohm rated injector pulse or sumthnig from ECU

But Silvertop RB20 must have a high pulse or sumthnig so its making my injectors pump 2 much.

So my ECU could b stuff or it could be just the redtop injectors dont work with silvertop ECU?

Ne info on Redtop injectors compared to silvertop would great.

Thanks Damo!!!