SAU Community

Went Down The 1/4 For The First Time Tonight

skylinegtts

hey all,

went down to WSID tonight and finally took my car down the quater mile. im a bit surprised with my results as they were slower than i had expected.

ive posted two attachments being my 2 best runs and was wondering if i could get some input on how i went.

car is a r32 GTS-T,

mods ive got done are 3" turbo-back exhaust, and a pod filter.

i was also running 98 octane petrol, full interior.

for me i was expecting atleast a mid 14 but didnt get it.

and on launches i dropped the clutch at about 4-5000rpm, which seemed to work best on the last run, but on the first run i slipped it at about 4000rpm.

post-24811-1162385964.jpg

post-24811-1162386010.jpg

Edited by skylinegtts

My apprentice ran 13.9 @ 98 in his 32 4 door. Stock standard running 13psi boost and MT street radials. Was doind 1.9 sixty footers.

yeah I think its usually around a 14.6 for a stock 32 or there abouts. It just takes practice to get your times down

im gonna keep practicing and i think i mite be able to get it sub 15s, but ive found that last nite over my 4 runs i ran onli 90mph each time, and even ran a 90mph trap speed when i got a 16.2 when i stuffed up the launch. and thats with a varying 60' from 2.3 to 2.8. does this mean anything? any insight?

Edited by skylinegtts

On your first few runs give yourself time. Don't worry about reaction. Sit there a couple seconds longer or whatever. Get the right rpm and boost buildup and then go.

Don't worry about what the other car is doing.

4000-5000 and slip the clutch to avoid wheelspin.

Tyres are pretty important too. going on your 60' times you musta had a fair bit of wheelspin.

im gonna keep practicing and i think i mite be able to get it sub 15s, but ive found that last nite over my 4 runs i ran onli 90mph each time, and even ran a 90mph trap speed when i got a 16.2 when i stuffed up the launch. and thats with a varying 60' from 2.3 to 2.8. does this mean anything? any insight?

Trap speed is indicative of power, so you'll usually get similar speeds regardless of how good or bad your launch is.

Your 60' times are woeful. If you're serious about improving your times, then you'll need some decent traction off the line. For every 10th you drop in your 60' time, you're roughly going to drop double that at the end of the quarter.

Get some decent rubber (eg: M/T ET radials or failing that, at least get some good street tyres) and get your 60' down to at least a 2.0 and you shouldn't have much trouble running low 14s with a bit of practise.

Good luck :(

thanks heaps for the input guys.

yeah im looking at getting better.

i did have a suspision that the tyres had a little to do with the time coz they didnt seem to grip that well all the time, they seem tempermental. im running some nankang ex-500s at the moment, will look into getting some M/T ET radials, as im new to this do u have any recommended sizes or anything?

my clutch doesnt seem to be feeling right either so im gonna get some1 to check that out aswell.

i was going to look into getting more power to reduce my times i think ill get other things set up better and then later on gett some more power happening

Edited by skylinegtts

255/50/16 MT street radials on a set of 300zx rims are the best combo to use. As for clutch, a Daikin Exedy heavy duty organic will be perfect. Tyres i sell for $250ea and clutch kit is $470 or $860 installed with Redline lightweight gear oil. Tyres, clutch & boost and the car will run high 13s.

thanks heaps for the input guys.

yeah im looking at getting better.

i did have a suspision that the tyres had a little to do with the time coz they didnt seem to grip that well all the time, they seem tempermental. im running some nankang ex-500s at the moment, will look into getting some M/T ET radials, as im new to this do u have any recommended sizes or anything?

my clutch doesnt seem to be feeling right either so im gonna get some1 to check that out aswell.

i was going to look into getting more power to reduce my times i think ill get other things set up better and then later on gett some more power happening

Im going on the 15th and this will be my first time as well.

How in the hell do you guys launch at 4000 revs or so.. I cant understand or even think of myself doing it lol.. Im to scared!!!

hmm guess you just need to get out there n do it.. But hmm can i just rev it to 2000 hahah.. 4000 seems like im gonna wheel spin and go off the track lol..

Im going on the 15th and this will be my first time as well.

How in the hell do you guys launch at 4000 revs or so.. I cant understand or even think of myself doing it lol.. Im to scared!!!

hmm guess you just need to get out there n do it.. But hmm can i just rev it to 2000 hahah.. 4000 seems like im gonna wheel spin and go off the track lol..

Launching at 4000+ rpm has a lot to do with traction and being able to feather the clutch according to the amount of grip you have to minimise or eliminate wheelspin. I usually launch at around 5000rpm, but in saying that, I use M/T ET radials, have a strong clutch and have 50+ passes under my belt. So in addition to having the right equipment, a lot of it also comes with practice.

If it's your first time, I'd suggest that you start off by launching gently at 2000rpm and then gradually build the revs on each run as you get a better feel for the track. Some wheelspin will probably be inevitable, so don't worry too much if you spin the wheels a little, although try to minimise this where possible. As a guide, if you can get a 60' time as close to 2.0 as possible (or better :D ) then you're doing pretty well.

I might be able to borrow some drag radials for the rear..

Guess its just practice makes you gain your confidence.. So hopefully i do alright out there.

Hopin to get under 14s.. I will be happy with that!!

But damn, 5000rpm launch.. Thats crazy!!

thanks BezerkR32, will look into getting those as usual just need the cash. that would be great running high 13s, but nxt time i go out, hopefully with the clutch, boost and tyres, ill be satisfied with a low to mid 14.

siddr20, i was the same...i didnt want to stuff up infront of the crowd of ppl. what i found helped heaps, was watching wat other ppl were doing, and just follow them. also the officials are really helpful and have everything organised so its easier for u. the best is once uve done ur first run, you want to get out there again straight away and do it again, feels so much better speeding legally.

The bug has bitten. Guys , dont be scared to drop the clutch at 5500-6000rpm, it wont break anything.

2RISMO launches @ 5500 with 100 gas and it survives. he also cuts 1.6 sixty footers. it will break drive shafts before anything else. or turn the clutch. slipping the clutch will only burn it out. trust the tyres, they will hold on.

thanks BezerkR32, will look into getting those as usual just need the cash. that would be great running high 13s, but nxt time i go out, hopefully with the clutch, boost and tyres, ill be satisfied with a low to mid 14.

siddr20, i was the same...i didnt want to stuff up infront of the crowd of ppl. what i found helped heaps, was watching wat other ppl were doing, and just follow them. also the officials are really helpful and have everything organised so its easier for u. the best is once uve done ur first run, you want to get out there again straight away and do it again, feels so much better speeding legally.

I will practice at 2k first hahah.. Well i do have quailty rubber on the rears so hopefully i get off the line quickly!!

btw what speeds do you all get up to.. well just say for a normal stock 33??

cheers..

Edited by siddr20

i think the bug has bitten, im keen to get out there again but gotta hold it off until i get some money together for some tyres and clutch. also want to put my car on a dyno to see how much power im turning out. coz my trap speed seems to be quite low i thought, but it mite be normal.

i dont mind dropping it at 5500rpm, and would love to, just that cant afford atm for the clutch to completely let go and undrivable coz its my daily driver, once i get that sorted ill be ready to attack strip again with much better results, hopefully.

Edited by skylinegtts