SAU Community

R32 Boost Cut?

bubba

Do the R32 GTSt ECU's have a boost cut? and if so, what does it use to measure the boost and where is it located?

Just wondering if I am hitting boost cut and if there is anything I can do about it. ECU remap will come early next year when all the bits I have collected go on.

Cheers.

i dont think any skylines have a boost cut as such.

most of them do have an AFM voltage based protection map though. too much airflow through the AFM at a given point on the map will trigger the ecu into rich and retard mode. you will know it when you hit it.

Do the R32 GTSt ECU's have a boost cut? and if so, what does it use to measure the boost and where is it located?

Just wondering if I am hitting boost cut and if there is anything I can do about it. ECU remap will come early next year when all the bits I have collected go on.

Cheers.

i dont think any skylines have a boost cut as such.

most of them do have an AFM voltage based protection map though. too much airflow through the AFM at a given point on the map will trigger the ecu into rich and retard mode. you will know it when you hit it.

As Baron said im not aware of the stock ECU having a boost cut at all, they do have a speed cut and the stock rev limit is pretty crappy :)

You should be able to raise the boost level from stock (according to mods) with no problems again but as mentioned it will change/affect the AFR's hence why most people get a remap or other form of aftermarket ECU for tuning :(

GMB

So R&R is triggered when the ecu reads too much voltage from the afm due to excessive airflow?

Ehh I think it runs a little rich at 13-14psi and was just wondering if the ecu used a map sensor or something to decide when to trigger R&R. After xmas I'll put the rb25 turbo on that I've got and get the ecu remapped, hopefully it should go a bit better then :)

Cheers for the responses :(

i have no boost cut just r&r something special, car bogs down like a piece of shit when i turn up the boost. need ecu badly! :miner:

as for the boost cut i thought you couldnt go past 1 bar but i dont beleive that anymore as i've hit 1.1 bar before

Yeah well I've seen people on here quote 12psi as the most boost you can run before it kicks in, but if it works off air flow then that can't be true.

yeah i guess it depends on how many restritions you've free'd up like if you have full exhaust fmic, pod your probly hitting it on standard boost i hit it on stanard boost but its amplified on 1bar.

i've heard the r32 ecu can take more mods than 33/34 so you could easily enough hit it with just a catback or something on those models....

Well I've got a fmic, split dump with a standard front pipe and cat then a 3" catback (don't ask me why, it came like that O_0), which will be fixed soon :(

Got a turbotech bc and running ~14psi which drops off to 10psi. I had to take some timing out to stop it pinging but it just doesn't feel right. Comes on boost reasonable hard and then doesn't really do much.

Also starts to ping slightly if you give it a foot full after driving for maybe half an hour.. need to shield that pod I reckon..

• 5 months later...

I think there might be some sort of fuel or ign. cut for over boost.

I was driving to work one cold morning and when I boosted I think the waste gate (aftermarket ext) stuck shut as my boost gauge went off the dial, over 20 psi. The motor lost ALL power like I had turned it off and then came back. I boosted again and everything worked fine. My car is a R32 with stock computer. I ran it up on the dyno to 20 psi without hitting any sort of boost cut, I don't know if mine is modifided in any way to achieve this as I have heard of other people not being able to run much more than 12-15 psi.